Is This A Crab Carapace Or Just A Fragment Of A Claw Or Some Other Body Part? And If So, What Crab?

claire01

As always, thanks for any help! This is very small, about 1/2 inch in size.

post-7100-0-70641000-1405086399_thumb.jpg

post-7100-0-16360200-1405086451_thumb.jpg

Cenomanian. Eagle Ford. North Texas.

Edited by claire01

I'm on board with crab carapace, but I would be hesitant about calling it a "Notopocorystes" just yet. [side note: Notopocorystes dichrous has been assigned to the genus Ferroranina.] If I'm seeing it right there's a lot of the specimen still buried in the rock, which would have to be at least partially uncovered to gain more info for an ID. I think the specimen shows the back margin and part of the side, with the front still buried. If this is right (and I'm not sure) the posterior side margin bears some serrations/spines that I don't see on my Ferroranina specimens.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you, Don.

So I flipped this over (the rock this little crab is in is pretty big - Approx. 10" x 8" and a good 4 "thick) and I noticed this:post-7100-0-92139400-1405099699_thumb.jpg

post-7100-0-39886200-1405099802_thumb.jpg

That brown area in the first photo is about 1.5 x .50 inches and feels like carapace.

The second photo is sort of top view with that side section showing. I think there may be more to this than I first realized!

That is exciting! Great find!

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Clair, I believe it is a carapace, but not of a Noto (did not know these had been renamed). I want to issue a guess of Necrocarcinus but that is a very tentative guess on my part.

Nice! Keep digging and see if the claws are still there :) I find a lot of these and it is always cool to see if the claws and legs are intact and sometimes they are in quite cool positions!

Nice find!

-Suvi

post-12443-0-78974900-1405702805_thumb.jpg

Nice! Keep digging and see if the claws are still there :) I find a lot of these and it is always cool to see if the claws and legs are intact and sometimes they are in quite cool positions!

Nice find!

-Suvi

attachicon.gifCrabby.jpg

Very cool! :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice find!

-Suvi

attachicon.gifCrabby.jpg

Ha, looks like the poor thing got caught while eating lunch.

Congrats on the find Claire01. Have you prepped anything before?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Ha, looks like the poor thing got caught while eating lunch.

Congrats on the find Claire01. Have you prepped anything before?

Thanks you guys, and fossilized6s-I've done a tiny bit of prep work on a few fossils, but I find these crabs very intimidating!