Trying To Identify Mysterious Bone

Comp0ser

• New Members

Hey guys, first time poster here, hope everyone is having a great x-mas/new year! I was in Simi Valley, CA today, doing some fossil hunting and usually I am okay at identifing stuff (with the help of my friend google). However, when I found this bone I was really stumped, it looks almost like a molar with a missing root? Moreover, I also was wondering if it could maybe be a knee joint? The tracks along the middle make it seem as though it engaged in some sort of movement.

I was located in Simi Valley, CA at an altitude of around 2100 ft. I found it buried in some fossil rubble in the middle of some type of sedimentary formation (santa susana formation/ Simi conglomerate?). The deer trail took me quite high up into the formation, maybe even as high as 150ft above the base of the cliff so it was not found in some creek bed. Sorry If my lingo is off, I don't claim to be any type of paleontologist/geologist, just a humble lover of nature.

Could be nothing, regardless thank you for your time,

-G

post-17208-0-06520400-1419562009_thumb.jpg

post-17208-0-75400500-1419562039_thumb.jpg

post-17208-0-15082700-1419562083_thumb.jpg

post-17208-0-06005200-1419562139_thumb.jpg

• New Members

Distal epiphysis of an artiodactyl tibia.

very helpful, thank you Rich. I did alot of research and although I would love to say this tibia fraction belonged to a camelops, I am seeing overwhelming evidence that it may have derived from a sheep (a rather disappointing answer).