The root of a tooth?

AshHendrick

I would greatly appreciate any help/direction on figuring out what (if anything) these two objects may be and if they are similar in origin. I was thinking the root of a tooth, but really haven't had much luck in my research but will admit I've not gone far outside of googling as much as I could think of for the region where I found these to see if I can find anything similar that was IDd. I copied the main concerns from FAQs on posting here, so hopefully I was able to provide enough detail for some direction.

I can try to get better pictures with closer views if you think it will help, I was anxious and shot these with my iPhone as soon as I got home.

1- LOCATION Greenville, NC Greensmill Run. (GMR)

2- GEOLOGY/Formation Generally this location is part of the york town formation, Miocene-Pliocene-cretaceous

4- ASSEMBLAGE Shark teeth, belemnites, bopods, mouthplates from singrays/skates, whale bone.

5- DISCOVERY I went to a new part of the stream today, it was much higher upstream than I usually venture, with rapid running water. I was walking on what felt like a giant rock for about 20 yards then sand with loose gravel came up so I plopped my stuff and this is one of the finds with lots of shark teeth.

6- CHARACTERISTICS

I thought it was an only chipped rock at first but a second look and I thought it was really close to this other item I had found that was much smaller (on the right in the photo) I was thinking maybe some sort of tooth root? Maybe it/they are just rocks? There was really nothing else similar in shape or color in the area today and generally when I dig in other spots along the GMR. The brown color, texture similar to and density being much lighter than a rock for both objects leads me to wonder what this may be?

post-19968-0-03919300-1446254047_thumb.jpg

post-19968-0-69989400-1446254049_thumb.jpg

Agree with old bones. I have found very similar looking fossils in the Peace River.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Yes, barnacles. I don't find as many of those in GMR as I do in places like the Tar river.

Edited by RickNC

I agree with the others.
Looks nice. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm most certainly going to be reading a lot about the array of things I didn't realize were present here in GMR! I really appreciate the time and responses! :)