DrRick

• New Members

My name is Rick, and of course just signed up. 

First and foremost, I apologize for my pretentious-sounding user name, but I tried several permutations of my name, but all seemed to be taken, and so I gave up in frustration  and just used the nickname that people have given me.

I'm an evolutionary biologist, a retired Dean and Professor from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.

I stumbled on this site because, for the past few months, I've been consulting on an extensive, old private collection, dating back to the 1950s, that was bought by a local science and education store. I've been identifying, or verifying the identifications, of many hundreds if not thousands of fossils of every imaginable type, and, of course, determining fair market prices. 

And so, during my 'net surfing, I was directed to The Fossil Forum on several occasions, and became intrigued. And here I am.

I may ask your collective advice at times regarding the identification of various items, and may on occasion just post a photo or two that some people might find interesting. I've got a load of them. This collection is truly astonishing. 

No apologies necessary (I'm a doctor myself, as are others). Your handle is completely fine. :) Given that I'm bald as a cue ball, and my middle initial is 'x,' I frequently get called - after pop culture - "professor x" after the X-men.

You are more than welcome here, and we'll be rapt to see what you will be presenting for our enjoyment and possible expertise. I do secretly hold out hope that you may choose to stay with us beyond this one large task. 

Welcome aboard!

-kane

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome to the forum from Central Maryland! I'm looking forward to seeing those specimens, and offering whatever information I have ( which is not an incredible amount, working on that...)!

Happy hunting,

Mason

• New Members

I'm sure that I'll eventually figure out how to reply to people individually, because I'm unjustifiably optimistic, but thank you for your welcome, and I assure you, I didn't sign up just to use you shamelessly, and then discard The Fossil Forum like a host organism, after some parasitic wasp or other significant other has finished with you.

I intend to stay around.

Welcome from Germany. Your background and present activity sound quite interesting. Looking forward to seeing your next posts.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Welcome to the forum from New York! Looking forward to your input.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

@DrRick

Welcome from central / eastern VA.

Given your introduction, I think I'm going to become 1 of, if not the first of your followers. :D

Cheers,

SA2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Welcome to TFF ! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Welcome to the Forum, Dr. Rick! :) 

Glad to have you here. 

Looking forward to your participation. 
Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the Fossil Forum from the Hudson Valley, NY. Curious about the collection you're cataloguing. Best of luck and looking forward to seeing your contributions.