Small rodent humerus ? Savannah, Georgia

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Hello,

I have what I think is a small humerus from a rodent of some kind ?  This is dredge material so it can range from Pliocene to Pleistocene.  Was curious if it was possible to determine the type of rodent.  I'm assuming it's too small for a capybara type of animal. @MarcoSr does this resemble anything you have seen ?

01_Humerus_SavannahGA_061118.thumb.jpg.cf90f3223b4cd04c094441a72ddeb5ec.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

As coincidence would have it Brett, I was just looking through some STH sifting finds and looky what I found. Mid. Miocene. 

Scale is in millimeters.

20180613_181804.jpg

20180613_181909.jpg

20180613_183847.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

How about muskrat?

Ooooo .. I like the muskrat angle.  It is an animal that takes to wetlands ....

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

As coincidence would have it Brett, I was just looking through some STH sifting finds and looky what I found. Mid. Miocene.

Well . well .. the rats are out this evening.  Your bone is quite intact which is nice.  I might have to take some of this material from the site home to sift it. Seems like there are quite a few small bits in it .. I only spotted it black against the sand and only after kneeling down.

2 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Hello,

I have what I think is a small humerus from a rodent of some kind ?  This is dredge material so it can range from Pliocene to Pleistocene.  Was curious if it was possible to determine the type of rodent.  I'm assuming it's too small for a capybara type of animal. @MarcoSr does this resemble anything you have seen ?

Cheers,

Brett

Brett

I've found thousands of rodent bones from anthill matrix from my sons' Eocene/Oligocene ranch in Nebraska.  However, your specimen is much larger than what I see from the anthills which are bones of very small rodents like mice.  I donated all of the specimens and I only took individual pictures of jaws, teeth, vertebrae, and claws so I don't have anything to compare your specimen directly to.  So all I can say is it looks like a rodent humerus to me.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png