Fossils?! Please help identify

Mrskatypoo

• New Members

The files I have are too large, I’m hoping to be able to post more pictures in the thread. These items were found on the Jurassic coast in the uk. The item in this image is smooth and solid, albeit there are parts of it broken off, it was whole when we found it.  

75C7A6FA-12DE-488E-ADEF-649612799F45.jpeg

• New Members

Here is the other ‘fossil’ we found. This one has a texture like sandstone, it feels rough and crumbly. I’m really not sure on this one!

1631CF87-350E-499F-BC5C-0FB9E30AEB61.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the forum!
The first one looks like a septarian nodule.

The second one looks like sandstone concretions, that have been grown together. But I can not exclude that these are iron sulfide concretions or contain some iron sulfides (cementing the sand grains together), that are on the way of rotting away. Does the second one have a special smell?

None of them are fossils by itself, but concretions can form around a fossil.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 5

• New Members
1 minute ago, FranzBernhard said:

The second one looks like sandstone concretions, that have been grown together. But I can not exclude that these are iron sulfide concretions or contain some iron sulfides (cementing the sand grains together), that are on the way of rotting away. Does the second one have a special smell?

Franz Bernhard

Hi and thanks for your reply! Yes the second one does seem to have a sort of metallic smell, a bit like old wet pennies! The sand grain thing would make sense, it’s very grainy haha! 

• New Members

Thanks! We found them a few years ago and my curiosity got the better of me! The first one is very heavy for its size. Very cool indeed. 

7FE74816-B734-4436-A965-3E5549F3A1AE.jpeg

32 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Franz Bernhard

Yup, i agree to that.

34 minutes ago, Mrskatypoo said:

Yes the second one does seem to have a sort of metallic smell

So it contains some iron sulfides (pyrite and/or marcasite). How much? -->  Is it heavy for its size? Heavier than a normal rock (limestone, shale, granite) of approximate the same size?

Interesting, that the first one is heavy for its size. It does not have the typical surface weathering of a siderite (iron carbonate) concretion, but it may contain some siderite. And it can not be totally excluded that the cracks are filled with barite (barium sufate), which is quite heavy. Does the crack fillings of the sepatarian nodule fizz with vinegar?

But I am sure that there is someone on this forum who is familiar with this type of sepatarian nodules :)!
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1