Coiled Marine Mollusks from the Upper Pennsylavanian Brownwood, TX

Jeffrey P

Here are two coiled marine mollusks from an Upper Pennsylvanian site near Brownwood, Texas I collected in September. Not sure if these are gastropods, goniatites, or nautiloids. Two views of the first one and three views of the second. Thanks for any help with the IDs. 

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3721.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Nice mollusc fossils you found :) I'm positive that the second specimen is definitely a gastropod.

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

they look like bellerophontid gastropods to me

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I would need a profile view of the first one as well as a look at how those grooves look going around the venter.

For the second one I don't know of a nautiloid with septa or sutures that straight. Most have a slight curve to them so that may just be unusual wear. If so it could be a gastropod like Euphemites vittatus with those concentric ridges but it could also be a nautiloid like Liroceras liratum which has similar ornamentation on the early whorls.