extant deep-water shark jaws from Japan

MarcoSr

I study the teeth of extant sharks.  I’m looking to purchase a number of species of deep-water shark jaws from sharks regularly caught off the coast of Japan for food.  Some of these shark jaws are offered on e-bay and other sites but the pricing is excessively high.  I’m trying to get information on how I might contact actual Japanese fishermen or fish market sellers to directly purchase these deep-water shark jaws.  Also any information on shark jaw distributors from Japan would be very helpful.  If you can provide any contact information please PM me.  Also if you are aware of any US/Japanese import/export restrictions on these deep-water shark jaws please post a reply below.  None of the species that I’m looking for are protected by CITES version 4 October 2017.

I've previously posted some pictures of some uncommon extant shark teeth at the below TFF links:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/83847-rhincodon-whale-shark-and-cetorhinus-basking-shark-extant-and-fossil-teeth/&tab=comments#comment-902499

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/84144-some-uncommon-extant-shark-teeth-2/&tab=comments#comment-899269

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/83808-some-uncommon-extant-shark-teeth/&tab=comments#comment-894590

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

5 hours ago, aplomado said:

You may already know this, but- importing shark jaws into the USA legally will probably require permits with a lot of red tape:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/61/kw/importing fish/session/L3RpbWUvMTU0NDE5NzU2Mi9zaWQvWHRCTG1IMW8%3D

I looked into importing skulls and decided it wasn't worth it.

Thank you for the response.  I'm aware of the paperwork and hassle to import shark jaws.  It is legal as long as the species of the shark jaws don't violate state, US or foreign laws.  I'm not aware of any Virginia or US laws that importation of these deep-water shark jaws would violate as long as the proper paperwork accompanies them.  However. I'm checking to make sure I'm not missing something.  I don't know anything about Japanese export laws with respect to these jaws.  I don't want to spend time and money and latter find out that the export/import is illegal.  As far as the paperwork hassle, I really don't have any choice if I want to study the teeth of these Japanese deep-water sharks unless I travel to different museums in the US with extant shark jaw collections or get the jaws on loan from them.  I can't afford the pricing of these jaws on e-bay or other websites.  I have been trying for years to find them reasonably priced somewhere but have been unsuccessful.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 1 month later...

Hi Marco Sr.

You can try contacting Dr. Gordon Hubbell.  You might also consider going to the Venice Shark Tooth Festival to see if you can make some contacts.

Jess

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 6:37 PM, siteseer said:

Hi Marco Sr.

You can try contacting Dr. Gordon Hubbell.  You might also consider going to the Venice Shark Tooth Festival to see if you can make some contacts.

Jess

Jess

That is a good idea on Gordon.  I've tried talking to a number of dealers from Florida that I found on the internet but they won't give up any contacts.  I actually have a contact now from TFF in Japan who is working with some fishermen to get me a number of deep-water shark heads.  Most of the deep-water sharks get sold to museums and different researchers in Japan versus being sold as food.  I'm trying to confirm a prepper in Japan because shipping sharks jaws to the US is a lot cheaper and easier than shipping shark heads.  Plus some of the deep-water sharks are very difficult to prep properly if you aren't experienced with them.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2