T Rex Anyone?

Yoda

6 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Details here

Ah, ok.

Didn't realise this has been posted before. :DOH:

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Ah this article is referring to "little" Bob. I was wondering if there was another baby Rex out there. Unfortunate that this will probably end up in a private collection :(. I wish private collectors had more of an obligation, or want to share their specimens with the scientific community for research purposes.

12 minutes ago, Bguild said:

Ah this article is referring to "little" Bob. I was wondering if there was another baby Rex out there. Unfortunate that this will probably end up in a private collection :(. I wish private collectors had more of an obligation, or want to share their specimens with the scientific community for research purposes.

Its Baby Bob that they talking about.    This  was found not by a collector but a commercial digger who's interest is to put food on the table and has been trying to sell it for the past few years.  His asking price is a bit outrageous why the lack of interest.

I think it is a little unfair to assume that every fossil that is purchased by a private collector automatically vanishes from the rest of the world. Most collectors I know are quite happy to loan an important specimen to a museum or make it available for research. If not for private collectors, most art museums would have a lot of bare walls. I fear in the fossil world this promotes the us against them problem. 

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, steelhead9 said:

I think it is a little unfair to assume that every fossil that is purchased by a private collector automatically vanishes from the rest of the world. Most collectors I know are quite happy to loan an important specimen to a museum or make it available for research. If not for private collectors, most art museums would have a lot of bare walls. I fear in the fossil world this promotes the us against them problem. 

Spoken like a true ''them''.:D Just kidding. I agree, and would add that plenty of stuff, be it fossils or or art, gets hoarded away by ''public'' institutions to be boxed up and but in storage never to be enjoyed by anyone.