New to the forum, new to fossil hunting

edalessa

• New Members

Hello everyone

I'm very new to fossil hunting, but have always wanted to find an ammonite. I am a marine biologist by trade and have always been interested in nautiloids. Living ones are so difficult to access in the ocean, and are becoming much less abundant lately due to over-exploitation. So I want to start researching and hopefully finding some ancient ones!

My only fossil hunting experience is underwater around Venice, Florida, where I've found some very nice megalodon teeth. I know the most popular place to find ammonites is the Jurassic coast of England. I do plan to get over there one day, but my schedule is hectic and I'd love to start my journey here in the US. I am planning on visiting friends in Santa Fe New Mexico in the coming weeks and was wondering if anyone had any advice or spots they would be willing to share. Even better, if someone would want to join me and show me the ropes (I'm a total rookie so I need all the help I can get!), I'll buy lunch! I'm excited to start this new hobby and make some new friends! Cheers.

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm sure you'll love it here :) 

Though sorry, it'll be difficult for me to show you the ropes in real life - I'm way across the Atlantic... But I know that there's many on the Forum who can :D 

Would love to see some of those megalodon teeth!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

@PFOOLEY might know some spots.

Also, look up New Mexico in the "Fossil Sites" topic on this Forum. It may give you some ideas of places at or near where you are going.

P.S. What is that on the end of your Hawaiian Sling?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hi, and welcome from Illinois.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Hopefully you will find that ammonite one day. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Good luck ammo hunting! :)

And a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco which also has lots of ammonites. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• New Members

Wow, thank you all for the warm welcome! My travel list is starting to grow!

Those are lionfish at the end of my spear. I'm not usually keen on killing things, but these are invasive in the western Atlantic, and were part of a study I was carrying out.

I will check out the New Mexico fossil sites forum now. Thanks again!

Welcome to the Forum ! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Welcome from Northern California!  Good luck on your hunts.