So having a small fossil collection i have thought of the possibility of studying the fossils especially the dinosaur teeth but the problem is im not a scientist  so i don't know how to study them so if someone could tell me if cheap fossils like these could be studied and how it would be largely appreciated. (Collection includes 2 spinosaurus teeth, a meg tooth, 2 mosasaur teeth, mammoth hair, carcharodontosaurus tooth) 

Thanks.

64914443_440719876478482_3249195222449520640_n.jpg

Edited by Kane
Removed seller name from first image.

There are a number of introductory books to get you started. In terms of specific species, access to peer reviewed journals is invaluable. If you haven’t already, do browse our Fossil Literature and Documents subfora.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

12 minutes ago, Kane said:

There are a number of introductory books to get you started. In terms of specific species, access to peer reviewed journals is invaluable. If you haven’t already, do browse our Fossil Literature and Documents subfora.

ok so could you give me some examples of specific books about fossils like the ones i mentioned ?

Thank you.

I think this may be a broader question than you realize, or maybe I’m just reading more into it and need some clarification. What are you wanting to specifically study? Are you trying to figure out what species the fossils are from? As in trying to find out which species of Mosasaur your tooth belongs to or which species of mammoth hair you have. Do you want to get more general knowledge about Mosasaurs, megs, mammoths, etc? Maybe you want to study the anatomy of the teeth specifically? 

Depending on what you specifically want to study will change the recommendation for most folks.

• I found this Informative 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

I think this may be a broader question than you realize, or maybe I’m just reading more into it and need some clarification. What are you wanting to specifically study? Are you trying to figure out what species the fossils are from? As in trying to find out which species of Mosasaur your tooth belongs to or which species of mammoth hair you have. Do you want to get more general knowledge about Mosasaurs, megs, mammoths, etc? Maybe you want to study the of the teeth specifically? 

Depending on what you specifically want to study will change the recommendation for most folks.

Teeth anatomy that's what i meant

Thanks for the clarification! :dinothumb:That narrows it down quite a bit. 

Unfortunately, I’m limited in my knowledge on the anatomy of the teeth that you have. I’m more of an invertebrate guy myself. So I can’t make a very good recommendation on books, but there are others here who are very knowledgeable and could probably make some great recommendations. Hang in there. Now that we have a better idea of what you are looking for, someone will be along to help. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 minute ago, FossilNerd said:

Thanks for the clarification! :dinothumb:That narrows it down quite a bit. 

Unfortunately, I’m limited in my knowledge on the anatomy of the teeth that you have. I’m more of an invertebrate guy myself. So I can’t make a very good recommendation on books, but there are others here who are very knowledgeable and could probably make some great recommendations. Hang in there. Now that we have a better idea of what you are looking for, someone will be along to help. :) 

thank you for taking the time to reply, i think i will have to create a new topic with the more detailed question, thanks again!

No worries. Glad to help!