I found this Dilophosaurus tooth for sale online and am suspicous of its authenticity. The problem is I don't know a lot (or anything) about dinosaur teeth and how one would go about spotting a cast.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

$_0.JPG-1.jpg

$_0.JPG.jpg

$_0.JPG-2.jpg

I think it is odd that this tooth's preservation does not match the few known examples of dilophosaur teeth that are pictured online. The teeth are usually in a bit of a poorer state than the one pictured. I also do not see any evidence of serrations. It seems that serrations are faint, but present, on dilophosaur teeth.

I don't know, perhaps it's a worn tooth, in most fossil teeth I've seen it's not uncommon for the serrations to be worn off. The tooth is 2.5 inches long. I believe it to be a cast especially since from the angle in the 3rd picture it looks very similar in shape as this cast I found which also happens to be 2.5 inches long.:zzzzscratchchin:

s-l400-7.jpg.83368fc5133bb7b3a6620520cc719d0e.jpg

Looks very similar to the tooth in my collection.  Could have been casted before I acquired it many many moons ago.. highly unlikely other 2 1/2" inch ones exist that have the same profile with root but who knows.  The weight could tell if its a cast.

Dilo1a.thumb.jpg.37d45d9f32e0a7d7ab9adf278e30f520.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The only thing that has me confused is the coloration in the first picture. It seems like a lot of work to paint a cast like that and it doesn't really improve the appearance of the tooth.