Arthropod ID in Baltic Amber

Jamey D. Allen

• New Members

This past month I was at Latvia and Lithuania for ten nights, investigating their amber industries. Among other specimens, I bought this large polished nodule of transparent Baltic amber, that was reputed to have a "tiny spider" inclusion. I found and photographed a very small arthropod—but since I cannot count body parts and legs, I cannot say it's a spider. The purchase took place in Riga, Latvia; though I was informed that a great deal of available amber comes from Kaliningrad in the former-USSR. 

Jamey D. Allen - Bead Historian

8084_ja_big_nodule.jpg

8761_amber_nod_closeup.jpg

8761_arthropod_detail.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I can only really make out maybe 4 legs on this. :unsure: 
not sure you can get any real ID without getting closer to the item, via grinding/polishing.

Side by side with a "reversed black and white" image:

8761_arthropod_detail.jpg-horz.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I could be wrong but I’m getting the impression of 3 body segments but it could be an optical illusion 

0549FDB6-6428-4966-A5EF-52FD0804ED78.jpeg

• New Members

Thank you for your thoughts Randy.  At a future time I hope to have the specimen photographed by a friend who routinely shoots tiny amber inclusions.  So perhaps we will have a better view of the critter.  JDA.

• New Members

Thank you Tim, for the welcome.  My photo is admittedly inadequate for an actual identification.  It's just provocative.  But I took these shots with an unenhanced i-Phone—and I was surprised it did as well as it did.  Cheers.  JDA.