Yorkshire - Beach Access

Old Bob

• New Members

Hi,

Can anyone please help with the latest and safest info for beach access directions at Port Mulgrave, and Runswick Bay.

I’ve never been to either and all info I find on line seems a bit outdated, confusing and causes concerns.

My wife is coming with just to show slight interest and keep company. We are both mid 60’s and mobile amateurs. I’m concerned about ladder and rope access references and any related safety / risk aspects of getting onto the beach in the right place at the right time. Are there options for access to either location.

Any directions or pointers would be warmly welcomed. This is something of a bucket list trip to quell a schoolboy interest, so I’d like to survive to remember it.

Perfection would be to find a vertebrae, but very happy with a reasonable Ammonite. I’ve checked tide times, we are going early October with a high tide @ 09:00. Accommodation already booked nearby to allow 2 mornings on a beach. I’m assuming one location each day.

All advise, comments and options would be warmly received. 

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I've never been down to the beach at Port Mulgrave, but since a large landslide a few years back the 'easy' route down has been washed away and destroyed. I walked to the top of the cliff a few months back. The local fishermen have put steps and ropes in place, but its very muddy and slippy. I suspect in bad weather the risk would far outweigh the reward. I also saw a news article recently describing how a local fossil hunter was buried waist-deep during a landslide after a large amount of rain. I'm not saying its impossible to get down there... but just remember its only rocks ;) Also, I suspect Mulgrave has been well and truly picked over in recent years. The same landslip which destroyed the path also deposited hundreds (thousands?) of tonnes of material on the beach. The best finds have probably now been 'found'. 

Runswick Bay is another matter entirely. There is council parking at the top of the cliff which is very rarely full and also a pay and display parking area at the bottom of the hill in the village itself (which is more likely to get filled up). Parking fees are normally waived between October - February by the council to encourage visitors out of season. If this is the case, the pay meters will have a sign on them to inform you. Access to the fossil areas of the beach are simple and easy. Head south for the best finds. DO NOT try to walk North to Mulgrave from Runswick. It's a tough going, boulder strewn wasteland. Finds are few and far between and there are multiple points where you can get cut off. Plus, if you can't make it back to Runswick, the aforementioned ropes and steps at Mulgrave are the only way back up!

Kettleness is an excellent location for fossils and can be accessed by walking south for about 25 minutes from Runswick. It's a bit of a slog, but safe and productive for finds if you read the tide timetables correctly and follow the route along the top of the boulder field.

I'm normally in the area during October. I've got quite a collection of ammonites and bones from Runswick and Kettleness. Still an amateur and by no means an expert. If you would like to come on a trip with me in October, just send me a PM on this forum.

Regards,

Mark

• I found this Informative 2

The only thing you need to know about ropes down to the hunting site when you are 60+ is that ropes up to the parking area when you are carrying 91 pounds of rock are a completely new and different king of exercise.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, to access Port Mulgrave the path requires you to go down either a ladder or rope. It's easy if you're fairly fit, but can be abit harder when it rains. 

Hope these pictures I took help.

Ladder

Ladder.thumb.jpeg.8bb00f78706d4319eb23b991a0cfa56b.jpeg

Rope

Rope.thumb.jpeg.0190d54fdbb2b017abade44215fbe70e.jpeg

The scenery at Port Mulgrave is beautiful.

Runswick bay is easy at low tide you just go down a little slope and you're onto the beach. Just remember to check the tide times. Good luck.

• I found this Informative 2

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter