Solved: Tabulate coral fossil

Jackson g

Hi all, I found this odd rock when I was out fishing yesterday. Seems to be chert, with small tubes (some sort of crystal) running all through the rock. I have found Mississippian age fossils in rock from the area, but I have never stumbled upon a stone like this. If anyone is familiar or knows what geologic process this is, I would love to know more. Thanks!

20190902_144456.jpg

20190901_171118.jpg

Edited by Jackson g
Update to thread with the new info from members

It looks like a rather open structured Syringopora (branching tabulate coral), which occurs through much of the Palaeozoic including the Mississippian.

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

12 minutes ago, TqB said:

It looks like a rather open structured Syringopora (branching tabulate coral), which occurs through much of the Palaeozoic including the Mississippian.

You think so? Because coral did cross my mind, but it's pretty different looking and a lot bigger from others I've found in the area. Most I've found are eroded out of the rock already. If so, it's the biggest coral I've found to date! Would you think cutting it would 100% confirm or deny this?

6 minutes ago, Jackson g said:

Would you think cutting it would 100% confirm or deny this?

I agree with a coral. Nice find.

I would not cut it, but may have it prepped out of the matrix (at least partially).

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

I agree with a coral. Nice find.

I would not cut it, but may have it prepped out of the matrix (at least partially).

Thanks for the input! I may look into prepping it sometime in the future when I don't have 20 other things on the list to finish haha.

12 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Great find.  BTW, I like it just as it is, without further prep.

Thanks! I'm going to debate doing any work to it tomorrow after I give it a good once over with some warm soapy water and a brush. I'm sure the inner tabula will look good and sparkle nicely. Some of the fossils and steinkerns in chert I've found at that site have a nice drusy coating to them, hoping this will too.