Dinosaur Hadrosaur Skin Fossil

fossilshk

Nice! Large specimen, too.

Did you get that from Nate M.?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice! Large specimen, too.

Did you get that from Nate M.?

Is Nate still around? Last I saw was a whole string of newspaper articles that almost shocked me...

Oh, and that is a very nice piece of hadro skin. Good size.

Edited by jpc

Really Neat !!! Thanks for sharing.

"...a fossil of mummified skin..."

Is it rocklike similar to a traditional fossil? looks like it is skin over some other substance. Is the other substance the thickness of the skin, or bone fossils or flesh mummified fossil?

AM I just thinking about this wrong?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Fossilshk, a pretty amazing specimen! Thanks for showing us.

MikeD, thanks for the additional shots! What great details! Regards, Chris

Really Neat !!! Thanks for sharing.

"...a fossil of mummified skin..."

Is it rocklike similar to a traditional fossil? looks like it is skin over some other substance. Is the other substance the thickness of the skin, or bone fossils or flesh mummified fossil?

AM I just thinking about this wrong?

From what I have seen and heard, it is all basically a sand/sandstone cast (except the bones of course). It feels like rock.

From what I have seen and heard, it is all basically a sand/sandstone cast (except the bones of course). It feels like rock.

Indeed.. fossilized skin isn't really the skin, it's the skin impression in the (usually) sandstone. Unlike bone, it has no thickness. Texture, yes, thickness, no. Does that make sense? You can see what I mean in the second (edge-on) photo of this cool specimen. That is rock below the skin impression.

Edited by jpc

Indeed.. fossilized skin isn't really the skin, it's the skin impression in the (usually) sandstone. Unlike bone, it has no thickness. Texture, yes, thickness, no. Does that make sense? You can see what I mean in the second (edge-on) photo of this cool specimen. That is rock below the skin impression.

Sorry for asking stupid questions but I have no clue about fossils like that. When I imagine the skin on the dinosaur, in my imagination the "scales" point outward, so one could feel very slight bumps. If the fossil is a cast of the skin structure, shouldn't it look like small depressions corresponding to the bumps on the living dinosaur? Like a negative impression of a trilobite for instances?

When I take a look at the pictures however it looks like the bumpos point outwards just like I imagine it on the living hadrosaur?!

The term "mummified" here means that the skin was dessicated (probably before burial) and did not decompose until after it had left an impression in the encasing matrix. The space it vacated after that was later filled (perhaps concurrently) and the resulting fossil is a positive cast of that mold.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sorry for asking stupid questions but I have no clue about fossils like that. When I imagine the skin on the dinosaur, in my imagination the "scales" point outward, so one could feel very slight bumps. If the fossil is a cast of the skin structure, shouldn't it look like small depressions corresponding to the bumps on the living dinosaur? Like a negative impression of a trilobite for instances?

When I take a look at the pictures however it looks like the bumpos point outwards just like I imagine it on the living hadrosaur?!

Not a stupid question. This is how we learn. I should have explained the term "cast" better as the others have now done. So, since it is a positive cast, your "imagination" of the pictures is correct.

Mike D, when and what show were those at?

My first pic was at Fossilmania in Glen Rose, TX, last October. The rest (one the same piece) was at the Houston Gem, Mineral, Fossil, Jewelry, etc. Show, Houston, TX last November. A guy who I had met once before (I know his father) is prepping a complete Hadrosaur. If I remember correctly, the one they had found was missing the tail. He found another one with a good tail and missing a bunch of other parts and took the tail from it. So, his will actually be a composite. The pieces for sale were left over from the partial one after he excavated the tail. Another guy was selling the pieces. You can see part of the prepped tail in one of my pics.

Not a stupid question. This is how we learn. I should have explained the term "cast" better as the others have now done. So, since it is a positive cast, your "imagination" of the pictures is correct.

Thanks for the explanation. I thought about that option right after sending the post actually.

But how can you discern a positive cast of a negative impression from something that fossilized itself, just as it was?

Edited by Mexx

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old topic but I love dinosaur skin. After dinosaur teeth, it is definitely my favorite type of fossil. Anybody have anything new they would like to share? I'll start.

Sorry, I know it's a little out of focus.

post-13649-0-22945800-1446326407_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dracorex_hogwartsia