Dinosaur Hadrosaur Skin Fossil

fossilshk

Indeed.. fossilized skin isn't really the skin, it's the skin impression in the (usually) sandstone. Unlike bone, it has no thickness. Texture, yes, thickness, no. Does that make sense? You can see what I mean in the second (edge-on) photo of this cool specimen. That is rock below the skin impression.

Though, real actual skin does sometimes fossilize. There was a study a while back that used the same technique they used on Dinosaur feathers to find out the colours on a piece of Hadrosaur skin. It was just a tiny bit that wasn't atributable to any specific species. But they found out it was bright orange or purple. Sadly, I forgot where I read it.

But even when it's just an impression of skin. Much can be learned from the shape and size of the scales. On the Brachylophosaurus mummy called "Leonardo" they found a whole layout of scales that suggested a certain pattern (based on that modern reptiles also often have scale size and position based on their colour layout.)

As an artist I think this stuff is all terribly fascinating!

920x920.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Very nice, locality and size??

I'm sorry to say, I don't remember the exact location where it was found. I know it was the Hell Creek, Montana and it's obviously from a hadrosaur. From my understanding it's from the tail section. The skin section is about 7 inches tall by 7 inches wide. It's hard to see from the picture but the skin is attached to two almost complete vertebrae. The complete piece is around 10 inches tall, 8 inches wide and 6 inches deep.

My skin section may be part of the same dinosaur that MikeD posted pictures of.

Edited by Dracorex_hogwartsia

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, LA fossils said:

this is very similar 

Looks a bit similar, but not quite, though. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• JohnJ locked this topic