aek

Any thoughts on these small fragments? Carbondale formation, mecca shales. All are pretty small and measure 1-2mm, except the fourth pic is 2cm .Some look like wings and others look fishy to me. Any help appreciated!

20191208_231116.thumb.jpg.64830e079835ec9fb625a3f3c3be29a8.jpg

Could be fish scales, maybe tooth fragments as well. Hard to tell, the exposure is pretty high in the photos. Are these from the ESCONI trip in August?

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Petalodus12 said:

+1 for fish scales. The first is a Paleoniscoid scale I think

Cool! I'll have to read up on these.

1 hour ago, connorp said:

Could be fish scales, maybe tooth fragments as well. Hard to tell, the exposure is pretty high in the photos. Are these from the ESCONI trip in August?

I'll try to fix the pix...really hard to photograph. These were found yesterday in Indiana

54 minutes ago, aek said:

Cool! I'll have to read up on these.

Yeah they’re a neat group of fish. Closest living relative is the gar.  They are super common in low energy depositional environments from the Carboniferous. I have tons of fossils of them most of which are  scales and bones. All from the Pennsylvania Carboniferous. Just out of curiosity, are yours from lake or ocean deposits?

@Petalodus12  This was actually my first time at this locality,  a tiny and seemingly random exposure, but according to the literature the area is a mixed marine/terrestrial fossilassemblage. I saw a type of unidentified plant remains (Calamites?) in the same block of shale, so it must be nearshore.

On 12/9/2019 at 10:01 PM, aek said:

@Petalodus12  This was actually my first time at this locality,  a tiny and seemingly random exposure, but according to the literature the area is a mixed marine/terrestrial fossilassemblage. I saw a type of unidentified plant remains (Calamites?) in the same block of shale, so it must be nearshore.

Hm, interesting. It seems like it’s definitely worth coming back to considering the fossils you found