Saurichthys Triassic China

Thinking about purchasing this specimen 

Saurichthys, Triassic China, but want to make sure it checks out.

received_388976204048700.jpeg

received_945903796992725.jpeg

received_699067949107964.jpeg

received_385337663816981.jpeg

received_361686489537874.jpeg

@oilshale, @JBkansas, @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

It looks real. The tiny teeth let me think that the skull is real. I wont state anything on the complete specimen, because I have to little knowledge on them.

Edited by Brevicollis

My account and something about me :

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

Im just a guy who really loves fossils

15 minutes ago, Brevicollis said:

@oilshale, @JBkansas, @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

It looks real. The tiny teeth let me think that the skull is real. I wont state anything on the complete specimen, because I have to little knowledge on them.

Thank you

14 minutes ago, svcgoat said:

Thank you

Better wait for others opinions, its better to have many more than one, because members can have different opinions on something. That what I said looks real, could look completly fake to someone else. And if many members share the same opinion, then its better to say "thank you" because you can be sure, that they agree on something:)

My account and something about me :

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

Im just a guy who really loves fossils

1 minute ago, Brevicollis said:

Better wait for others opinions, its better to have many more than one, because members can have different opinions on something. That what I said looks real, could look completly fake to someone else. And if many members share the same opinion, then its better to say "thank you" because you can be sure, that they agree on something:)

Of course I will wait for more opinions but still wanted to thank you for yours!

• Thank You 1

The fish is genuine but unfortunately not well prepared. At least 5 different species of saurichthys can be found in the Triassic of Guizhou and Yunnan. An assignment is hardly possible without exact location information.

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Just now, oilshale said:

The fish is genuine but unfortunately not well prepared. At least 5 different species of saurichthys can be found in the Triassic of Guizhou and Yunnan. An assignment is hardly possible without exact location information.

What does a well prepared one look like? When I look up Saurichthys its hard to find a good example 

Looks real to me but I'm better with reptiles of triassic china. There seems to be a lot of variability in the prep and matrix of these.

Real, skull and frontal part of the body could be prepped better. I would assume that some parts of the body are scratched away (acid-prep?)

Nevertheless, a good, but not perfect specimen

They are not rare and some dealers in Asia sell them. Will be possible to get one at a reasonable price one day

I attach a pic, the blue surrounded parts looks like that there is some material missing. Frontal part could be there, but under matrix, the part at the end of the fish seems to be away

image.thumb.jpeg.f41c3fe4525635ecaa07bf111dff1d7d.jpeg

Edited by rocket
  • I found this Informative 3

Saurichtys minuta5acf27e46bd3b_Ch1727SinosaurichthysminutaMittlTriasLuopingYunnanCN192499080714Ch1727.jpg.e7aac00845577459bdc2aebdff6a9ca2.jpg

Both not perfect, but at least not prepped with a Dremel.

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

2 minutes ago, oilshale said:

That's a beautiful example.

Genuine specimen but quite badly prepped.  It is interesting to find that most Saurichyths specimens are incomplete, possibly due to the very delicate body.  More complete specimens are sometimes found in unprepped plates that are in "soft" matrix.  See the following for comparison.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-24 at 5.48.11 PM.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-24 at 5.48.10 PM.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-24 at 5.48.08 PM.jpg

• I found this Informative 1