pefty

Does anyone have experience with the Middle Ordovician brachiopod faunas of the upper Mississippi Valley? I came across this odd fragment in rocks from a quarry in south-central Wisconsin. To my knowledge they are known in North America only from the Appalachian Basin (Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Quebec, Newfoundland), not the interior basins like the Illinois basin. Has anybody else seen this critter or similar in the Platteville?

As far as I am aware, the only species documented from the Platteville that looks anything like this is Megamyonia unicostata, but that has a single costa rather than the several apparent here and in the types of Ptychoglyptus.

Platteville Fm, probably in P. undatus biozone

= Upper Ordovician, Sandbian stage (old North American Turinian Stage)

ptychoglyptus.png

79808127_10102568553265464_989441094972342272_n.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I'm not sure what it is, but that sure is a pretty fragment! Can you expose more of it to confirm it has a hinge line?  I'm just wondering if it might be Bryozoan related perhaps?

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Ohhh I hadn’t thought of bryozoan! Unfortunately it’s in a city park in Chicago on a boulder so I can’t exactly go to town on it...

*ping* *ping*

Excuse me sir, what are you doing?

Oh, I'm just trying to extract this fossil so I can examine it more closely.

Yeah, I can see that being an issue. Too bad as that is a good mystery. Hopefully someone else will see this and chime in. @Bev @minnbuckeye

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Too me, being no expert, that resembles a trilobite pygidium. It would have to be exposed more to make a certain ID.  :-)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

• 1 year later...