Searcher78

I gave the chimera fin spine that I found at Douglas Point to the Calvert Marine Museum. They had mouth pieces and a cephalic hook, but no fin spine. I haven’t checked out the museum in years. It has a very nice fossil exhibit.

Hi,

I am very interested in the ratfish cephalic hook. Do you have any pictures of it?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Same! I'd love to see any photos you are willing to share of the donated pieces. Congrats on the donation!

You can check out my previous post “couldn’t wait till spring, Purse Park” for pictures of the fin spine. I don’t have pictures right now of the hook. Sorry image is upside down.

F3280572-2A8A-4552-9109-10A378B7A628.jpeg

36E7B100-EBC5-4729-A78C-5388A9D8196F.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Searcher78 said:

You can check out my previous post “couldn’t wait till spring, Purse Park” for pictures of the fin spine. I don’t have pictures right now of the hook. Sorry image is upside down.

F3280572-2A8A-4552-9109-10A378B7A628.jpeg

36E7B100-EBC5-4729-A78C-5388A9D8196F.jpeg

This drawing looks like a hybodont cephalic hook.

1 minute ago, Al Dente said:

This drawing looks like a hybodont cephalic hook.

Yes they are near identical from what I understand.

56 minutes ago, sharkdoctor said:

Same! I'd love to see any photos you are willing to share of the donated pieces. Congrats on the donation!

Thanks, I enjoy the finding more than keeping. I get 300 to 400 teeth in just one trip to purse park. I have lots of teeth from there, but have yet to find a few shark types .

The reason why I ask is because I’ve never seen an actual specimen of a ratfish clasper from where I collect often, New Jersey. There is one drawing on the big Brook website, but it looks like a Hybodont clasper. http://www.njfossils.net/ratfish.html

@Al Dente do you have any pictures of any ratfish clasper specimens?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

36 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

The reason why I ask is because I’ve never seen an actual specimen of a ratfish clasper from where I collect often, New Jersey. There is one drawing on the big Brook website, but it looks like a Hybodont clasper. http://www.njfossils.net/ratfish.html

@Al Dente do you have any pictures of any ratfish clasper specimens?

I’m guessing unless there is a feature that makes it unique or it is found with the majority of the fossilized fish, then one could not say for sure it is a hybodont or ratfish clasper. I am far from an expert, but I would like to know the difference also and see a picture of a verified one.

• I found this Informative 1

I’m not aware of any published accounts of fossil ratfish cephalic hooks. I think the tooth-like denticles might fossilize.

27 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I’m not aware of any published accounts of fossil ratfish cephalic hooks. I think the tooth-like denticles might fossilize.

I searched a bit and found one on Oceans of Kansas. I guess they look completely different from Hybodont claspers. I’ve seen people say that they differ by the ratfish clasper having a kink in the hook, but that must be irrelevant/wrong.

http://oceansofkansas.com/Chimaeroid.html

What are the tooth-like denticles that you’re talking about?

27 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

I searched a bit and found one on Oceans of Kansas. I guess they look completely different from Hybodont claspers. I’ve seen people say that they differ by the ratfish clasper having a kink in the hook, but that must be irrelevant/wrong.

http://oceansofkansas.com/Chimaeroid.html

The Kansas website was informative, but the clasper was never verified. Someone just decided that it was a ratfish clasper.

1 hour ago, The Jersey Devil said:

On the bottom of the tip of their cephalic clasper there are tooth like denticles. You can see them on these modern specimens. I doubt that the clasper would preserve as a fossil since they are soft cartilage and skin. Hybodont cephalic claspers are mineralized.

54ED08CB-7272-4292-8E61-71F9159B87BA.jpeg

058FD1F0-CEAF-4518-8F10-EF3E68E214FC.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

17 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

On the bottom of the tip of their cephalic clasper there are tooth like denticles. You can see them on these modern specimens. I doubt that the clasper would preserve as a fossil since they are soft cartilage and skin. Hybodont cephalic claspers are mineralized.

54ED08CB-7272-4292-8E61-71F9159B87BA.jpeg

058FD1F0-CEAF-4518-8F10-EF3E68E214FC.jpeg

Very interesting, did not know that.

I’ll be on the lookout for any “spikes” in micro matrix.

I normally don’t keep every ray barb I come across, but fortunately I kept the fin spine I mistook for a ray barb. I may have to start keeping everything until I fully investigate everything.