ID verifications?

Ramona

Along with being a newly avid fossil student, I am also a stock photographer.  I would like to submit these images for stock images, but I want to make sure that I am identifying them correctly.  You guys have helped me learn EVERYTHING you see here!  All of the names and labels, I learned here!  Please let me know if I am missing any thing or have mislabeled any of these?  I have numbered them to help with the identification. 

Thanks so much!
Ramona

IMG_0728-7editlow.jpg

IMG_0730-8editlow.jpg

IMG_0732-9editlow.jpg

I agree with Bob S about the second type specimen. Nice fenestrate bryozoan!

The others are endeed remains of  crinoids.

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Bob Saunders said:

for image # 9 consider Ferestella taberculata FFerestella tuberculataerestella tuberculata

Gotcha!  That is a type of bryozoan, right?

1 minute ago, abyssunder said:

I agree with Bob S about the second specimen. Nice fenestrate bryozoan!

The others are endeed ramains of  rinoids.

Thanks for the help!!

1 hour ago, Ramona said:

Thanks for the help!!

I corrected my arms... Sorry... I have seen late... :(

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think what you are seeing as bryozoans in 1 - 8 is actually the result of recrystallization. All I see is crinoid pieces.

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

I think what you are seeing as bryozoans in 1 - 8 is actually the result of recrystallization. All I see is crinoid pieces.

OK, yeah, I was wondering about those!  Thanks for the clarification!  I would rather err on the side of being certain. ;-) 

You could add the word "hash" to each of the first eight, since they are broken bits and pieces of the class Crinoidea, the phylum Bryozoa, and multiple other bits, most of which are not identifiable. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Just now, Mark Kmiecik said:

You could add the word "hash" to each of the first eight, since they are broken bits and pieces of the class Crinoidea, the phylum Bryozoa, and multiple other bits, most of which are not identifiable. 

So would it be correct to state the types first and then "hash"? 

@Ramona  Are these rocks chert? See if the rocks will scratch glass and if a metal knife blade will scratch them. I suspect that they are chert with fossil molds in them. It is important if these are stock photos to mention that they are molds of fossils in chert.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Yes, and as Rockwood mentioned there may be no Bryozoa there. One would need to look very closely. It may be best to describe them as "Crinoid hash" as they are totally disarticulated. I'm sure you've seen images of fully articulated crinoids at this point.

In my opinion, stock photos need to be as accurate as possible, so unusual forms of preservation that don't depict the subject well should be avoided.

Mark.

Just now, DPS Ammonite said:

@Ramona  Are these rocks chert? See if the rocks will scratch glass and if a metal knife blade will scratch them. I suspect that they are chert with fossil molds in them. It is important if these are stock photos to mention that they are molds of fossils in chert.

I know that a metal object will scratch most of them, but I am not sure about them scratching glass... I wonder where I can find some glass that I don't mind getting scratched... Thanks for the help!! I will check on this!

1 minute ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Yes, and as Rockwood mentioned there may be no Bryozoa there. One would need to look very closely. It may be best to describe them as "Crinoid hash" as they are totally disarticulated. I'm sure you've seen images of fully articulated crinoids at this point.

OK, got it!  Yes, I have seen fully articulated crinoids, and thanks to some direction from this forum, I have studied the anatomy of crinoids a bit, so I recognize the bits and pieces better than I did at first!  This makes sense!

2 minutes ago, Ramona said:

I know that a metal object will scratch most of them, but I am not sure about them scratching glass... I wonder where I can find some glass that I don't mind getting scratched... Thanks for the help!! I will check on this!

If you ever need small pieces of glass for various projects, visit you local hardware store and ask them to give you some of their scraps from what they repair broken windows with.

Mark.

5 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

In my opinion, stock photos need to be as accurate as possible, so unusual forms of preservation that don't depict the subject well should be avoided.

Yes!  This!  This is why I am asking!  :-) I have used no methods of preservation on these - does it look like I have?

1 minute ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

If you ever need small pieces of glass for various projects, visit you local hardware store and ask them to give you some of their scraps from what they repair broken windows with.

Great idea!  I am sure I can find an old Mason jar around somewhere, too!  I just had to take a moment to think.  ;-)

Just now, Ramona said:

Yes!  This!  This is why I am asking!  :-) I have used no methods of preservation on these - does it look like I have?

Not you! :D Mother Nature. The way they ended up in a disarticulated heap may be misleading to one seeing their first crinoid fossil.

Mark.

Just now, Mark Kmiecik said:

Not you! :D Mother Nature. The way they ended up in a disarticulated heap may be misleading to one seeing their first crinoid fossil.

Oh, that makes sense!  I get it now!  LOL  That is helpful, too!  I completely understand what you are saying - I would be terribly confused if these were the first crinoids I saw.  So should I state that these are crinoid fossil molds rather than actual crinoid fossils?

Wow: #9, what a beauty! 

Beautiful photos and hash pieces all,  but I do think including "hash" in the names of the other pieces is really necessary as those photos remind me more of the "Where Is Waldo" kid's puzzles from the 90s.... than helpful fossil ID guides...:headscratch: 

Just now, Pippa said:

Wow: #9, what a beauty! 

Beautiful photos and hash pieces all,  but I do think including "hash" in the names of the other pieces is really necessary as those photos remind me more of the "Where Is Waldo" kid's puzzles from the 90s.... than helpful fossil ID guides...:headscratch: 

OK, thanks!  I will definitely do that!  

1 minute ago, Ramona said:

Oh, that makes sense!  I get it now!  LOL  That is helpful, too!  I completely understand what you are saying - I would be terribly confused if these were the first crinoids I saw.  So should I state that these are crinoid fossil molds rather than actual crinoid fossils?

You can and should. You should also state that the specimen is composed of disarticulated fragments. But I think you may be getting ahead of yourself. You should start with a simpler specimen for your stock photo project. What you are attempting is akin to learning to play the piano starting with an etude by Chopin instead of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.

Mark.