Buyer Beware!!!

RJB

I once in awhile check out the auction sites just to see what is posted.  I do buy things once in awhile but very rarely.   Today I was checking out some fossil fishes from china.  Lots of the common fish, Lycoptera davidi being posted.  All looked really good!  Too good!  I used that magnifier thingy and took a closer look.  To me it was painfully obvious that the fins were painted.  Buyer beware!!!    and good luck

RB

• I found this Informative 10

true.  I went to the site a few months ago.  the fish is abandont, however, they are so packed up together that the matrix is not well layered.

A complete fish is not as readily obtained as one might think. 

People make fake ones, although beautiful genuine group fish plates are not expensive on site. 

It's too bad about China. They have some awesome mineral and fossil specimens, but it's a minefield of fraud. I wouldn't touch a Chinese-sourced specimen with a 10-foot pole.

BTW, most of the meteorites and 90% of the moldavites coming out of China are fakes or grossly-misrepresented.

Anything from China, Morocco and Russia are generally the ones I spend more time scrutinizing the most before even considering purchasing one of them. As @Bone Daddy said, they have some awesome specimens, just have to look at it real close before opening my meager wallet for it.