Sloth Jaw?

Kayak-IA

My wife found this jaw bone on a river sand bar in central Iowa last fall.  I think it is a sloth jaw but not certain.  The smallish size is what gives me a little bit of doubt.  I have not found anything else other than a sloth that fits. Am I missing something?

Thank you!

20200222_125240.thumb.jpg.0ad8fcc145f7e20ab4f5a51fb8f218e6.jpg20200222_125224.thumb.jpg.6c984cc42bc04b9a787cd88c8dddf07a.jpg

20200222_125305.jpg

20200222_125601.jpg

Can you please post a picture ( focused ) looking straight down on the chewing surface of the tooth?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

OK.  It sure does look like a beaver jaw now that I see this.  For some reason I never thought to look into beaver teeth.  This is our first beaver fossil.  Still looking for a sloth!

Thanks Much!  

Very nice find!  I agree it looks very much like a beaver as @Harry Pristis has suggested. But I’m a bit confused. The tooth in the found jaw is in the frontal position, but it looks most like the tooth in the back position in the jaw that Harry posted. Am I seeing this wrong or is the tooth perhaps in the wrong position?

On a separate note, is the jaw that Harry posted a modern or fossil jaw?  I ask because the teeth have a lot of differences from the modern beavers I have in my collection. I am curious if anyone knows how much variability there is in the tooth pattern of Castor canadensis.  

41 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

These are Holocene beavers.  The jaws are from NA middens which are a few thousand years old

Thanks for that info, I’m going to have to do a little research on beaver teeth!