March 2020 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

On 20.3.2020 at 1:46 PM, digit said:

Spiralia:  Pair of spirally coiled lamellae composed of secondary shell and supporting lophophore.

Another term: These are often also called brachidium.

Edit: Brachidia come in different forms, the coilled ones are called Spiralia (thanks, @Tidgy's Dad)

Franz Bernhard

5 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Another term: These are often also called brachidium.

Franz Bernhard

A brachidium, (plural brachidia) is the term for one of the calcified lophophore support structures in brachiopods in general. (some don't have support structures) 

A spiralium, (plural spiralia) is a particular type of brachidium that is spiralled and occurs only in certain groups of brachiopods such as the orders Spiriferida, Spiriferinida, Athyridida and Atrypida, all now sadly extinct. 

• I found this Informative 6

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

A small jaw of French fish, it measures 10mm

The first photo is in situ

Date of Discovery    March 2, 2020  

Name   Articulated prearticulars of pycnodont indetermined

Geologic Age   Turonian

Find location   Seine-Maritime, France

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• I found this Informative 17

@Rfossile My reactions to seeing your pycnodont fossil - (before prep): oh that's a sweet jaw, I like it :)  (after prep): what the heck that's absolutely amazing!! :D

Seriously.. that's a wonderful piece

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Hello everyone! Happy to be able to actually put in some eye candy this month: a croc vert!@Gizmo was kind enough to take me on a wee fossil hunt after an excavation. Though the area we looked through had been thoroughly picked through the day before, someone left this rarity on a boulder for me to find. And that is why you do your homework! Either Choptank or St. Mary’s FM, and either T. antiquus or T. sericodon.

March 2nd, 2020 

Thecachampsa sp. vertebra 

Chesapeake Group, Choptank FM?

Calvert County, Maryland, USA

3DA441D6-4750-4C5C-97D3-DBAF77A6D6C0.jpeg

227B99CB-00BA-4317-A1E2-37CC6DC78E85.jpeg

2282D98C-C383-45C5-9EB3-CBFE1A335B61.jpeg

Edited by WhodamanHD
Fixed obsolete spelling
  • I found this Informative 16

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Good size croc, too

• I found this Informative 1

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

11 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

@Rfossile My reactions to seeing your pycnodont fossil - (before prep): oh that's a sweet jaw, I like it :)  (after prep): what the heck that's absolutely amazing!! :D

Seriously.. that's a wonderful piece

Thanks, when i found it i didn't think it would be as complete, it was a nice surprise

On 3/22/2020 at 6:03 PM, WhodamanHD said:

Hello everyone! Happy to be able to actually put in some eye candy this month: a croc vert!@Gizmo was kind enough to take me on a wee fossil hunt after an excavation. Though the area we looked through had been thoroughly picked through the day before, someone left this rarity on a boulder for me to find. And that is why you do your homework! Either Choptank or St. Mary’s FM, and either T. antiqua or T. sericodon.

March 2nd, 2020 

nice vertebra

• I found this Informative 2

I came across this tooth while processing some matrix. All I could see was this tiny shark tooth on the outside and this black bit on top so I wacked it and this beauty came out! :P What I originally thought was a tiny sharks tooth turned out to be part of a massive one. I think I found the edge of the tooth while sieving the matrix but dismissed it as nothing :duh2:. It is the biggest striated hybodont tooth I’ve ever found and I think the preservation’s pretty neat! It measures 19 by 12mm.

Date of find: matrix collected 21st March 2020, tooth found 22nd March 2020

Name: hybodont shark tooth cf. hybodus or planohybodus

Age and formation: Bathonian, Jurassic, Forest Marble Formation

Found: Watton Cliff, Dorset, England
86CE949F-12E6-4FCD-A00F-E64389F4CE08.jpeg.39bbe89c7f397e8790db4a38fb996ec3.jpeg2D503C98-FADF-43E3-8CDE-58E75831636B.jpeg.65679db882a294084d4fe8716be3c32d.jpeg9D85164D-06A9-49EC-AE1C-0CF058F6EF0C.jpeg.4a73127f711de7000d44793c968943e5.jpegE032ABFA-2C7A-419B-8D01-070A7DD75BAE.jpeg.8f79bf000217ed5dda8ca4ca32a52c42.jpeg4F38AAAF-AEAF-43A8-ABE5-62CAB25E013E.jpeg.f179d69aa9e5e850a238a4d9630dc2b0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 14

3 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

I came across this tooth while processing some matrix. All I could see was this tiny shark tooth on the outside and this black bit on top so I wacked it and this beauty came out! :P What I originally thought was a tiny sharks tooth turned out to be part of a massive one. I think I found the edge of the tooth while sieving the matrix but dismissed it as nothing :duh2:. It is the biggest striated hybodont tooth I’ve ever found and I think the preservation’s pretty neat!

You're not making this competition easy.. ;) Great specimen by the way

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

4 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

You're not making this competition easy.. ;) Great specimen by the way

5 hours ago, Rfossile said:

nice vertebra

Thanks, awesome pycnodont!

6 hours ago, Ash said:

Good size croc, too

Thanks! I’ve got no clue how big they get. I’ve only seen one other one of this genus in person, was a hair smaller.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 3/22/2020 at 11:16 AM, Rfossile said:

Date of Discovery    March 2, 2020  

Name   Articulated prearticulars of pycnodont indetermined

Geologic Age   Turonian

Find location   Seine-Maritime, France

A small jaw of French fish, it measures 10mm

The first photo is in situ

Awesome jaw and great prep :)!

19 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Hello everyone! Happy to be able to actually put in some eye candy this month: a croc vert!@Gizmo was kind enough to take me on a wee fossil hunt after an excavation. Though the area we looked through had been thoroughly picked through the day before, someone left this rarity on a boulder for me to find. And that is why you do your homework! Either Choptank or St. Mary’s FM, and either T. antiqua or T. sericodon.

March 2nd, 2020 

Nice vert :)!

Here is a silicified Pennsylvanian sponge from the Naco Formation of north central Arizona found north of Payson. This sponge is probably a new species and awaits an expert to help describe it along with several other Arizona sponges that I have found. 

The sponge which sort of has the texture of a sourdough roll with lots of air bubbles has a series of roughly 1 cm long almond shaped holes that are radially arranged around the assumed center of the sponge. 

Detailed photo is 2.2 cm across. 
Photo of whole sponge is about 7 cm by 7 cm.

Date of Discovery: March 9, 2020.

Common Name: sponge.

Scientific Name: Phylum Porifera, Class unknown.

Found in the Pennsylvanian Naco Formation.

Found north of Payson, Arizona, USA.

806C3297-E67C-4D9F-A80E-F2E203069BF5.png

73782476-28E6-49B6-81EC-D248BBE7B69E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 14

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 hours ago, Pterygotus said:

Nice vert :)!

Thanks! Nice hybodont!

Happy hunting,

Mason

I finally received notification from my Prep person that one of the jaws I found in my fall trip was completed.   The photos are from that individual, will pick it up when I eventually get out in to dig this summer :fingerscrossed:.   The preservation was not the best but jaws from very young individuals are extremely rare so I wanted a professional to preserve it and I allowed some restoration.

Family: Hadrosauridae

Genus/Species: Edmontosaurus annectens

Juvenile Right Dentary : 30 cm long

Discovery date: Sept 19, 2019

Prep completion: March 17, 2020

Formation: Hell Creek

Dig site

20190924_101520.thumb.jpg.411982f55bd2c2bcb5b04f63f60f34c6.jpg

Screenshot_20200323-120353.thumb.jpg.86708fd24d9c53bd7ababa62aff646db.jpg

Screenshot_20200323-120347.thumb.jpg.294913bcfd413d410751e7bf7ddf9c4a.jpg

• I found this Informative 24

I've found a few hundred crinoid segments from this formation over the years, but this was the first time I found this guy (and a couple others) that had bryozoan encrusting the outer surface. 

March 15, 2020

Bryozoan encrusted crinoid segment. 

Chainman Formation, Carboniferous Period.

Utah. 

2020-03-23-17-35-53.jpg

2020-03-23-17-35-16.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

8 hours ago, Troodon said:

I finally received notification from my Prep person that one of the jaws I found in my fall trip was completed.   The photos are from that individual, will pick it up when I eventually get out in to dig this summer :fingerscrossed:.   The preservation was not the best but jaws from very young individuals are extremely rare so I wanted a professional to preserve it and I allowed some restoration.

Very cool find @Troodon!

2 hours ago, Allosaurus said:

A cute little Bryozoan encrusted crinoid segment. 

Chainman Formation, Carboniferous Period. Utah. 

Discovered March 15. 

I've found a few hundred crinoid segments from this formation over the years, but this was the first time I found this guy (and a couple others) that had bryozoan encrusting the outer surface. 

Please put your entry in the requested format. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I told somebody recently that this might be a good time to enter the FOTM competition since it seems half the world is going into lockdown mode.

But there have been some great entries as of late that makes that statement no longer valid.

Lots of competitive stuff this month and it's not over yet! :popcorn:

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

13 hours ago, Troodon said:

That's really an amazing specimen!! :D 

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile