Theropod tooth?

fossil_sea_urchin

Hi everyone, I just obtained my first non-Moroccan theropod tooth. It's from the Morrison formation and measures 1 and 3/8ths of an inch. I assume it is from an Allosaurus, because of how common Allosaurus is in the Morrison, but the rarer Torvosaurus and Ceratosaurus are the only other possibilities. It would be interesting to hear some opinions,  however the lack of visible serrations presents some problems. @Troodon

Thanks in Advance!

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I’m not sure much can be done without visible serrations. The pictures aren’t showing up for me :headscratch:. Can you try attaching a file instead?

I think theropod is the closest possible ID. I’m not even sure if it’s 100% theropod. :)

It's quite difficult could be allosaurus, could be ceratosaurus as they look very similar to each other. You wont be able to tell due to the condition of the tooth and being a partial.

• I found this Informative 2

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

31 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

It's quite difficult could be allosaurus, could be ceratosaurus as they look very similar to each other. You wont be able to tell due to the condition of the tooth and being a partial.

What do you think about Torvosaurus?

Is it 100% theropod?

10 minutes ago, fossil_sea_urchin said:

What do you think about Torvosaurus?

Is it 100% theropod?

Torvosaurus is a possibility but It’s pretty much impossible to tell due to the state of the tooth. I wouldn’t say 100% theropod but it’s most likely.

Like the others have said its pretty difficult to assign it to any specific dino.  Are you sure its theropod tooth its pretty straight, lacking serrations?  Have you tried looking for them under magnification.  Having said all of this are you sure its a tooth?  Photos are always not the greatest to determine that but surface texture does not look right, its flaky and very uneven and the fractures are not typical of enamel. Actually looks more like bone.  @jpc what do you think?

• I found this Informative 3

7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Like the others have said its pretty difficult to assign it to any specific dino.  Are you sure its theropod tooth its pretty straight, lacking serrations?  Have you tried looking for them under magnification.  Having said all of this are you sure its a tooth?  Photos are always not the greatest to determine that but surface texture does not look right, its flaky and very uneven and the fractures are not typical of enamel. Actually looks more like bone.  @jpc what do you think?

That’s what I thought at first but I think I do see signs of enamel. I could be wrong as it does resemble bone very much.

Just now, Pterygotus said:

That’s what I thought at first but I think I do see signs of enamel. I could be wrong as it does resemble bone very much.

I cannot tell from the photos if I'm seeing enamel or just the sheen from glue

• I found this Informative 2

8 hours ago, Troodon said:

I cannot tell from the photos if I'm seeing enamel or just the sheen from glue

There certainly is some sort of layer that is not on in some areas and has an unusual set of cracks when magnified, almost like squares.

Judging by how straight it is, and the way it looks, it could be a piece of rib.

I'm with troodon... I do not see enough definite enamel on this one.  Without seeing it in person it is a tough call.