How do I clean lichen from rock?

Jerry W.

I am trying to find an easier way to effectively remove green and black lichen from the exterior and crevasses of rock I've collected. Soaking it and using a needle does work, but causes damage to delicate specimens.  Does anyone know of a chemical or technique that truly gets the stuff to let go easily?

Use household bleach and water; roughly the same strength as if you were going to bleach your dingy white socks. After the lichen is dead and softened, brush off with a soft/medium nylon brush/ toothbrush.

• I found this Informative 5

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

20 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Use household bleach and water; roughly the same strength as if you were going to bleach your dingy white socks. After the lichen is dead and softened, brush off with a soft/medium nylon brush/ toothbrush.

I will give it a try.  Should I use the solution and let it dry on the rock, or keep it soaking in the solution until it is dead?  Any idea how long it takes for the lichen to die?

chlorox will kill lichen in minutes

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

45 minutes ago, Jerry W. said:

I will give it a try.  Should I use the solution and let it dry on the rock, or keep it soaking in the solution until it is dead?  Any idea how long it takes for the lichen to die?

Soak the rocks for a few hours or overnight. Pull out and brush off softened lichen. Repeat if not all lichen comes off easily. I soak rocks in clean water before I brush them since bleach can bleach clothes.

• I found this Informative 4

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.