Psittacosaur skull?

Iffy about this because China fossils are often fake, but it's being sold from a collection outside of China (exported in 80s).  Described as "restored and glued and protected with B72"

17cm x 15 by 13.  Vague location beyond "Cretaceous China"

What's the consensus? Fake, composite or the real deal?

Edit. Just realised I put in wrong forum. Should be in the is it fake section.

s-l400.jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg

s-l400 (2).jpg

s-l400 (3).jpg

s-l400 (4).jpg

Cannot say much with the photos provided.  Need HD photos with better lighting and cloeup of the jaw area and other areas.

20 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Cannot say much with the photos provided.  Need HD photos with better lighting and cloeup of the jaw area and other areas.

Thanks for taking a look, again. Much appreciated.

The seller is in my home city actually, I'll see if he would be open for me seeing it in person so I can take some close-up snaps. Failing that, I'll see if I can get some closeup photos.

I'd quite like a skull for my desk, so it caught my eye.

Looks purty darn good to me but like Troodon has already said, better pictures would be nice.   Those are very dark pics with lots of shadows so hard to make a really good determination.

RB

• I found this Informative 1

36 minutes ago, RJB said:

Looks purty darn good to me but like Troodon has already said, better pictures would be nice.   Those are very dark pics with lots of shadows so hard to make a really good determination.

RB

Thanks, I have requested some more, better lit and closer photos from the seller soon. I will post them if I get them.

There are a few that are above the allowed file size too, so I cant upload them.

35 minutes ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

There are a few that are above the allowed file size too, so I cant upload them.

@FF7_Yuffie you can use an online file compressor to compress your photos beforehand so you can add more to your post. Super helpful due to the forum's upload limitations!

8 minutes ago, DawnOfADream said:

@FF7_Yuffie you can use an online file compressor to compress your photos beforehand so you can add more to your post. Super helpful due to the forum's upload limitations!

Nice, cheers. I'll compress the larger ones and get them up after work.

Updated with the two photos that were too big to include.

Hope these are close-up enough to give any insight. 

Screenshot_20200506-103928_Chrome-min.jpg

Screenshot_20200506-103934_Chrome-min.jpg

3 hours ago, Pemphix said:

The detailed photos showing bones which are real imho.

@Crazyhen may know a little bit more to say about this one...

Nice, glad its looking positive so far. :)

Now, im not saying it is, but this area looks to be put together?   and maybe more. 

RB

skull2.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Looks like some resto but I cannot really make a good assessment with these photos.  Probably need to hold it to be sure.

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Now, im not saying it is, but this area looks to be put together?   and maybe more. 

RB

skull2.jpg

The item description says there has been [some restoration and glueing. With b7 to protect.]

This bit then is one of the restored bits?

@FF7_Yuffie

Jack, please remember that we do not allow ad copy to be posted.  Thanks.  ;)  

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

15 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@FF7_Yuffie

Jack, please remember that we do not allow ad copy to be posted.  Thanks.  ;)  

Oops, sorry about that.

Based on the not very clear photos, it looks like genuine to me but I am not 100% sure as fake skulls made up of composite of fossil bones (mostly mammals) are known.  They are made with sophisticated skills and it's hard to tell if it is fake unless you got it examined closely.  I like to look at the jaws to see if teeth are present, and it seems they are there.

By the way, I don't agree that China fossils are often fake.  There are fake ones, just like everywhere else, but China has a rich reserve of fossils, some of which are so abundant (e.g. Keichousaurus) that it is not worthy to make fake ones.

• I found this Informative 4

7 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Based on the not very clear photos, it looks like genuine to me but I am not 100% sure as fake skulls made up of composite of fossil bones (mostly mammals) are known.  They are made with sophisticated skills and it's hard to tell if it is fake unless you got it examined closely.  I like to look at the jaws to see if teeth are present, and it seems they are there.

By the way, I don't agree that China fossils are often fake.  There are fake ones, just like everywhere else, but China has a rich reserve of fossils, some of which are so abundant (e.g. Keichousaurus) that it is not worthy to make fake ones.

Thanks for the help. Appreciated

On 7.5.2020 at 3:20 AM, Crazyhen said:

Thanks for having  a look!

Incidentally, I missed out. I was in the lead until there were 2 minutes left then it skyrocketed way out of my price range. Ah, well. 

Amazing. In less than 24 hours since it was sold, this skull is now being resold on our favorite auction site

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

1 hour ago, -Andy- said:

Amazing. In less than 24 hours since it was sold, this skull is now being resold on our favorite auction site

Will be interesting to see if it makes it to the new seller in Canada.   Its coming from Taiwan and needs to go through customs so lots of red flags there.    Finally looking at all the photos it was large but the quality did not look good with several suspect areas.

8 hours ago, Troodon said:

Will be interesting to see if it makes it to the new seller in Canada.   Its coming from Taiwan and needs to go through customs so lots of red flags there.    Finally looking at all the photos it was large but the quality did not look good with several suspect areas.

I live in Taiwan, the mail service is notoriously bad for losing things.

I've had cards and things from my parents either not turn up or turn up weeks after they should.

This is a Psittachosaurus skull I saw from a collector in China.  It looks more intact.

IMG_6205.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg