A surprising trilobite find in NY

GerryK

In the Ordovician, Trenton Limestones of Ontario Canada and New York, there are many species of Ceraurus that have been described. Yet, more are found in Canada than in New York. This is most likely due to a lot more collecting in Ontario and shallower environment in Ontario verses deeper water in New York. Some of the related genera like Bufoceraurus and Leviceraurus in Ontario have not been found in NY. It was exciting for me to find this cluster of Ceraurus in New York because they appear to be the same species of C. plattinensis that have been described from Ontario. However, the Ontario/NY C. plattinensis are different than the C. plattinensis that comes from the Decorah in Missouri. They are being looked at and will be described as a new species and deposited in the New York State Museum.

CVQ-1 (6).jpg

CVQ-2 (2).jpg

CVQ-3.jpg

CVQ-4.jpg

CVQ-5.jpg

• I found this Informative 30

Amazingly beautiful, and important find. Thanks for posting them here. 

:trilowalk:

• I found this Informative 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Wow, what an amazing find! Beautiful trilobites and scientifically important! Great job!:dinothumb::trilo::trilowalk:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Now that is one fantastic plate you lucky guy! Hats off also for the museum donation, but I guess there's no choice there if a paper's in the offing.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Fantastic find, Gerry!

Thank you for donating it to the Museum, and furthering the knowledge of trilobites in NY. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Magnificent! Just amazing! Congratulations on an incredible discovery!

3 hours ago, GerryK said:However, the Ontario/NY C. plattinensis are different than the C. plattinensis that comes from the Decorah in Missouri. They are being looked at and will be described as a new species and deposited in the New York State Museum.

“They” is unclear. What trilobites are being donated to the NY museum: the Missouri ones, this plate or something else?

This is an amazing piece and will be hard for others to top. Congratulations.

3 hours ago, GerryK said:However, the Ontario/NY C. plattinensis are different than the C. plattinensis that comes from the Decorah in Missouri. They are being looked at and will be described as a new species and deposited in the New York State Museum.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Congratulations Gerry. That is a spectacular and important find. The NYS museum will be good new home for it. Only complete Cerausus I've seen from New York were from the Rust Walcott Quarry. 

Congrats on the epic find! :default_faint:

High five for the donation to the museum and helping to further science! :SlapHands:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

“They” is unclear. What trilobites are being donated to the NY museum: the Missouri ones, this plate or something else?

This is an amazing piece and will be hard for others to top. Congratulations.

The pictured plate is going to the NYSM.

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Great find Gerry.  :drool:  Will you be the one writing this up?

Don

I've been working with two others on the revision of Ceraurus. However, this work has come to a halt due to this virus.

• I found this Informative 3

So much has been forced to pause due to this virus. Hopefully everyone will be well and the work will resume once it is safe to do so.  I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Don

Outstanding find..a shame that there are very few areas in Ontario that we are still allowed to collect in... I suspect there are a lot more Ceraurus out there still waiting to be found and described.

That's an unbelievable plate of trilobites - WOW!!!  Congratulations!!!

5 minutes ago, hrguy54 said:

Beautiful piece. 

How big is the plate?

If the scale in the first picture is in cm, it looks to be around 11 cm long  by 9 cm wide, perhaps? 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

17 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

If the scale in the first picture is in cm, it looks to be around 11 cm long  by 9 cm wide, perhaps? 

The scale bar is one inch.

17 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Outstanding find..a shame that there are very few areas in Ontario that we are still allowed to collect in... I suspect there are a lot more Ceraurus out there still waiting to be found and described.

So far we have come up with 60 different Ceraurus and related genera, 30 of them are undescribed. Then there are a few more undescribed Ceraurus in private collections. We are also thankful to those who did donate there specimens to our work on the Ceraurus.

• I found this Informative 2