They look like teeth

Atmeec43

Hi there I was givin this and to me it looks like teeth and big ones ... the white part has the same feel as humans teeth can someone tell me what they could b 

20200520_183133.jpg

20200520_182834.jpg

I have quarts and this looks nothing like it and another comparison is I am very familiar with calcium deposits on teeth and it really looks like it has calcium deposits and a cavity as well as a root... and I am very familiar with quartz I'm a rock hound 

20200520_182819.jpg

No crystal quartz I have has fractures like this and none of them have cavities 

20200520_191533.jpg

Quartz does indeed crack. It takes many forms. I’ll tag our geo expert. @ynot

Where was it found?

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

20200520_182834.jpg

Sry didnt mean to post so many on the cavity and fractures ... I dont disagree that saquartz crack but I've cracked teeth and had them break off and the fracture here is just like my toothsome fracture and not like any of my quartz that are cracked 

I agree with Kane it looks like quartz carbonate with a fracture and inclusion

It does look like quartz with possible mica in the circled area. Is the light mineral that is circled, soft and flaky like mica? It also appears to be a folded metamorphic rock.

3E1D6929-DD46-4F47-9FCF-6B3CCBA98F42.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

29 minutes ago, Atmeec43 said:

Hello Atmeec43 and welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  That is indeed an intriguing looking specimen you have there.  It does indeed look like a tooth at first sight. 

I too am a rockhound and have a lot of quartz crystals from across the globe.  I think the confusion in communication might be in this:  the forum members are speaking of micro-crystalline quartz, not a single quartz crystal in the macro sense.  Micro-crystalline quartz can crack along a variety of individual quartz crystal interfaces and so is not bound by a fracture pattern that would resemble the structure of a single quartz crystal lattice.  Does this make sense?

I would trust the inputs you've been given from the fossil experts above.  I believe that what you have is a suggestively shaped micro-crystalline quartz specimen.  And again, welcome to the forum.  Stick with us and you will learn - and teach us - a lot.

• I found this Informative 5

No tooth.

Could be quartz or calcite (depends on hardness -> Mohs-scale).

Probably part of a vein, therefore matrix on the side....

Looks like common milky quartz to me. 

When the quartz formed, microscopic inclusions of liquid or gas were trapped, spoiling the natural clarity of the quartz crystals. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png