Rhizodus teeth

Strepsodus

Rhizodus is probably the most well known Carboniferous fish.  I have seen Rhizodus teeth over 20cm in length, which shows the huge size this fish could reach.  Fossils of Rhizodus are quite difficult to obtain due to their rarity and because most of them were found a long time ago.  I do however have two teeth from Rhizodus.  I intend to allow these teeth to be studied by experts if they are of interest to them.

The first tooth is a tusk tooth from Newsham, Northumberland, England.  It measures 37mm long.

1EA24914-4698-44A6-9B30-E1496021061A.thumb.jpeg.edf18bfbf981234761df66220ca56a2b.jpeg

The second tooth is from Cowdenbeath, Fife, Scotland.  I believe this comes from the Limestone Coal formation, Dora opencast.  It measures 42mm.  

AD95C782-F33E-4B41-91CA-0B2041CE5BD4.thumb.jpeg.a6ec8fd3aea437ae8a29820a7c43c75f.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

Very Nice Strepsodus, The matrix appears quite hard and probably attributed to the the excellent preservation of the Rhizodont teeth. They look exactly like Upper Devonian teeth I found in Hyner, Pennsylvania, USA. My teeth belong to the Rhizodont Fish - Hyneria.

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

• I found this Informative 11

You guys have some epic ones! I’ve only got tiny ones (Rhizodus sp.? from Frances Colliery, Scotland and Hyneria lindae from Hyner, PA). I’ve got some more fragments I found in Hyner but they aren’t worth showing. Got to get back up there!!

20E6B42C-EDEE-4B07-A2CD-009E2F646FC8.jpeg

0D011805-9A7E-4B74-A1FA-E11B3FE7C2AC.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sadly, right now the Red Hill locality is in limbo. The Pennsylvania State Forestry Service is not allowing digging on the cliff face. The Professional researcher is working with the PFS to change that limit. You may search the talus debris, no tools. Unless there is a landslide off the face,  it is going to be slim pickings for a while.

PA040003.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

2 minutes ago, fossilcrazy said:

Sadly, right now the Red Hill locality is in limbo.

That is unfortunate indeed. A lose for science and amateurs alike. Hope it can be figured out.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 5/29/2020 at 1:07 PM, fossilcrazy said:

Sadly, right now the Red Hill locality is in limbo. The Pennsylvania State Forestry Service is not allowing digging on the cliff face. The Professional researcher is working with the PFS to change that limit. You may search the talus debris, no tools. Unless there is a landslide off the face,  it is going to be slim pickings for a while.

Not to highjack this thread (awesome teeth by the way, would love to have either a Rhizodus or Hyneria tooth in my collection), but what is the legality of collecting the above mentioned talus debris? Is there any need to be accompanied by a group (DVPS) or the red hill paleontologist? I believe I was told on the forum several years ago that being a member may have been necessary to collect there. I could be totally wrong, just checking as it's a site I've wanted to collect for a while now.

PaleoNoel, To actually dig there it was necessary to be part of a group or under the supervision of Museum staffer. As of right now, there is no collecting by digging on the cliff. One can walk along the bottom and collect whatever has fallen. (no tools). I await to hear if the Pennsylvania State Forestry goes back to allowing digs.

• I found this Informative 2