Potomac - Fossil Wood? (Solved: Turtle)

HemiHunter

Hey guys-

I was kayaking yesterday near Blue Banks and stopped for a rest and, of course, to see if there was anything interesting lying around.  I picked up this piece of what I thought could be fossilized wood, but I'm not sure. It is definitely mineralized, has some very faint slightly radiating lines on the "top" and has a clear pore structure in cross section. Any ideas?

20200601_154811.jpg

20200601_154837.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The pore structures make me think it's a fossilized bone. Others would have better idea what it was.

Looks like turtle material. I did a quick map search and it looks like the area that you collected it at is underlain by Paleocene rocks, I think Aquia Formation but I’m not 100% sure. Nice find!

Turtle Material most likely. I’ve found a lot at Blue Banks.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Thanks guys!  I think you are right.  I did some more research based on your suggestions and it looks like it is a piece of carapace.  I found an article with a very similar-looking fossil fragment with a similar cross-section and the faint radiating pattern.   That's really cool as I don't think I have found any turtle material before.

1 hour ago, HemiHunter said:

Thanks guys!  I think you are right.  I did some more research based on your suggestions and it looks like it is a piece of carapace.  I found an article with a very similar-looking fossil fragment with a similar cross-section and the faint radiating pattern.   That's really cool as I don't think I have found any turtle material before.

It should be quite common at Blue Banks, I have a good amount of pieces from there. 

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!