Fossil egg?

At first glance it looks real to me--mainly because it's not in the best condition. I figure if someone was gonna fake it, they'd do more than partially cover the egg :P

17.9cm x 7.8cm x 7.6 cm

Described as an Elongatoolithidae egg.

Thanks. I know it's not the best, but it's affordable enough so I don't have to dip into the budget I've set aside to get some verts and teeth. 

egg1.jpg

egg2.jpg

egg3.jpg

egg4.jpg

Its real but I would avoid it without question.  Whats the purpose of buying a dinosaur egg where most of the eggshell is missing, to see the shape of one?  Pass  Save you money and buy a decent one.

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Its real but I would avoid it without question.  Whats the purpose of buying a dinosaur egg where most of the eggshell is missing to see the shape of one?  Pass  Save you money and buy a decent one.

I'd love a decent one--but they seem to fetch prices which  would destroy my budget.

Cheers. 

@FF7_Yuffie  

Per Forum guidelines, please do not mention budget valuations or prices in your comments.  Thanks for your help.

(Posts have been edited.)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

This looks like an egg from Ganzhou, Jiangxi Province of China, but sadly with most of the egg shells gone.

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with Troodon; no point of buying a dinosaur egg where most of the eggshell is missing - not even the price, these are way too expensive for the condition... The only problem is, it's difficult to get a decent one. Not because of rarity, they are common, but because of laws.

When budget is the limit, maybe a replica like in photo below is not a bad alternative or keep on saving for a decent one. 

s-l1600-235.thumb.jpg.c946413bae25ccd32e44c3a067d7f285.jpg

@Troodon @aeon.rocks@RJB

I just saw seller has this one which is much better. Mind having a look, seeing if there's any danger signs that is'a  composite or anything?

Described as Elongatoolithidae  from East Asia. Sellers listing also says it is fatter than most oviraptor eggs and so may be from a different species than the usual?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Both eggs are real.  The first is missing almost all of the shell.  The second egg is also real and much more complete.  No red flags that I can notice from the pictures.  If you're between the two I'd go for the second one.

1 hour ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Both eggs are real.  The first is missing almost all of the shell.  The second egg is also real and much more complete.  No red flags that I can notice from the pictures.  If you're between the two I'd go for the second one.

Cheers. The first one I didn't bother going for and it's sold now--for way higher than I expected. Seller uploaded the second one recently, so probably gonna go for it since it seems like it's legit. Thanks.

It's real, can't see much red flags in pics, middle part seems glued back and egg coated with stabilizer or glue in some parts (or maybe just photo wet), but personally I don't like the prep and they are not so much different... First egg was complete, in matrix, unfortunately less as 20% shell visible (although perhaps more in matrix, if prepped out fully, maybe even closer to 40%). This one has more as 60% (around 70%) shell, but no matrix, glued, and a large part of egg missing (not thanks to hatch window, I'm guessing eroded/collecting issue - often damaged when found in construction works). "Fat shape not common type" description is just a marketing story... 

Should sell cheap for the condition, but probably it will go high - if so expect to overpay. I would wait and keep on saving, if price goes too high... That's just my subjective opinion, because as mentioned, I don't find it much more complete and personally I don't like the prep on this one (inconsistent - in last pic more obvious what is meant). Besides, if wet in pics, expect a more dull look too, but maybe just covered with stabilizer.

Anyway, note that in the open market (like your favourite auction site) it's hard to find a real decent "oviraptor egg" specimen with a good balance between % of shell preservation, well prepped, without much damage and in matrix. Even if you move to higher sums, the material that ends on your favourite auction site is most likely smuggled and usually C grade quality. I have not seen one of these worth buying for anything else as a study specimen (should be cheap!!) in years, even when described as "top". Perhaps the reason why there's lack of well prepped and A grade eggs in the market is not just the legal issues and how they are found, it's also cheaper to buy and resell low q. with more profit... The best preserved ones probably don't make it out of the country or dealers prefer to pay for quantity vs quality. But you should be able to find some more decent ones available... There's millions and millions of eggs in such condition in China, preped fast, purchased very cheap, before smuggling out of the country. In Taiwan or HK offered for sale globaly and the price then skyrockets, but I still don't see a point to pay almost a month's salary for one of these, even if you forget about law issues... 

I got outbid in the last few seconds. Boo.

Ah well, seller puts them for sale quite regularly, so I'll look out for his next one. 

It sold expensive for the condition in my opinion, thanks to damage not crazy expensive tho. A reasonable price would be around half but for a nicer preserved one; however most of these B and C grade eggs without broken missing parts and a lot of shell missing (also restored) easily run up to 2x - 3x higher sums in these auctions, by amateur collectors looking to buy a "RARE" real egg, thinking it's rare. In China they sold these for 4x lower values at fossil shows, even less for unpreped and poor preserved... Amazing fossils, but common as dirt in Asia. My advice, set your budget, don't expect to get a bargain, but take your time, don't bid on impulse, even if you're outbid 10x more times, unless you see one you would really like to pay a high price for. They sell regularly in such preservation. With some luck you'll get some better, good deals, also for a similar or a bit lower price; but this was not one of the good deals imho

• I found this Informative 2

51 minutes ago, aeon.rocks said:

It sold expensive for the condition in my opinion, thanks to damage not crazy expensive tho. A reasonable price would be around half but for a nicer preserved one; however most of these B and C grade eggs without broken missing parts and a lot of shell missing (also restored) easily run up to 2x - 3x higher sums in these auctions, by amateur collectors looking to buy a "RARE" real egg, thinking it's rare. In China they sold these for 4x lower values at fossil shows, even less for unpreped and poor preserved... Amazing fossils, but common as dirt in Asia. My advice, set your budget, don't expect to get a bargain, but take your time, don't bid on impulse, even if you're outbid 10x more times, unless you see one you would really like to pay a high price for. They sell regularly in such preservation. With some luck you'll get some better, good deals, also for a similar or a bit lower price; but this was not one of the good deals imho

Yeah, both went for way more than I expected and was willing to pay. I'm sure I'll get an oviraptor egg sooner or later for a good price. Just a matter of waiting and luck :)

I'm kinda surprised they are so expensive given how many I see for sale. Like I've seen much rarer fossils go for less. But then, an egg is eye catching and impressive looking, so I do see the appeal.

Yes, many actually very rare fossils and also other eye catching fossils, collected legally and well prepped, sell for less. Amazing fossils in any case, but it's the illegal nature, ban on export that raises the demand and price, since these are just as common as dirt in China and Mongolia. "Rare" only in perfect preservation and prep, thanks to old stock circulation and smuggling not even rare in the market, but just as common as most common species of ammonites, meg teeth, Knightia or Diplomystus fish from Green river or common species of trilobites... It's a hype! And funny to see people spend a lot of money for B and C grade common ilegally smuggled dino eggs described with superlatives; and on the other hand "complains" about the similar high price of rarer well preped eye catching invertebrates, which take also close to 100 hours to prep and weeks of hard digging to find, with words: "too expensive".  

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get one sooner or later for a good price or a good one for a not so good price. ;)

• I found this Informative 3