Zapsalis

Well, I figured that I should start a member’s collection. Sorry for my absence, I was busy with college classes. I did great this semester, and I even won a student leadership award! :D

With that being said, I’m gonna start my collection off with a piece that I acquired for my birthday! My 22nd Birthday is tomorrow (June 14th), and I was strapped for money. My father and grandmother chipped in, and helped me acquire this chromium woodworthia piece from a local rock shop that I frequent! It’s from Arizona, and it only cost $60 USD! :b_love1: 

I’ll try to be active here whenever I can, as I am exhausted from this semester of college (having to abruptly switch to an online format due to COVID-19). I’ll have to link other threads of my fossils and post pictures of my previous additions to my collection to this thread whenever I have the time! :) 

3E69BA8A-DA1D-4C29-8561-2A7EE49400CC.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

Some more pics! 

I’m really happy to have one of these beauties in my collection! :ighappy:

390B44E9-CB02-461B-9AF5-124748C76931.jpeg

D7D8FEDE-0ED0-4EA2-ACD4-91F3B4079A29.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Just now, grandpa said:

A very happy B-day and congrats on the fine acquisition.  :yay-smiley-1:

Thank you so much! This means a lot to me!

I feel honored to have such a piece in my collection! ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Lovely piece and a happy birthday! :D 

Thank you! I appreciate it very much! :dinosmile:  :ighappy:

8 hours ago, Zapsalis said:

Well, I figured that I should start a member’s collection. Sorry for my absence, I was busy with college classes. I did great this semester, and I even won a student leadership award! :D

With that being said, I’m gonna start my collection off with a piece that I acquired for my birthday! My 22nd Birthday is tomorrow (June 14th), and I was strapped for money. My father and grandmother chipped in, and helped me acquire this chromium woodworthia piece from a local rock shop that I frequent! It’s from Arizona, and it only cost $60 USD! :b_love1: 

I’ll try to be active here whenever I can, as I am exhausted from this semester of college (having to abruptly switch to an online format due to COVID-19). I’ll have to link other threads of my fossils and post pictures of my previous additions to my collection to this thread whenever I have the time! :) 

3E69BA8A-DA1D-4C29-8561-2A7EE49400CC.jpeg

That's a really unusual color

Happy Birthday!

Congratulations on the nice addition to you collection. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Happy birthday! :yay-smiley-1: That’s a beautiful piece of wood!

15 hours ago, Zapsalis said:

I even won a student leadership award! :D

Nice acquisition! You only gave yourself one :D. You deserve :D :D :D :D :D :D  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D!!!!!! 

Mike

Thank you! :D

From now on, I’m gonna focus on using this thread to update my collection! My own “Mesozoic Park”! :ighappy:

On 6/15/2020 at 5:30 AM, Zapsalis said:

Not-related, but we celebrated my birthday with a bonfire and some cake! :D 

Did you save me any cake? 

The young lady serving it in the photograph looks a tad emaciated in places and needs a smidgin of practice at make up, if you don't mind me saying. 

;)

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Did you save me any cake? 

The young lady serving it in the photograph looks a tad emaciated in places and needs a smidgin of practice at make up, if you don't mind me saying. 

;)

There is some left in my fridge, yes! It’s chocolate with buttercream frosting! :P

As for that young lady, I regret to inform you that’s actually myself. I grew my hair out due to my love of 70’s and 80’s prog rock bands like Pink Floyd. It’s also an homage to my amazing father, who’s youth was during those days! I’m a dude who loves having his hair long, much like his biker father! ;)  

• I found this Informative 2

Speaking of green wood, here is some more acquisitions that I made last year of Madagascar petrified wood that’s also of Triassic age! :D They each cost around $5-$8 each! ;) 

926B5414-0D9A-4A1B-8B14-4C0C88C7804B.jpeg

And another green(ish) piece of Madagascar petrified wood that I picked up for my collection last year for roughly the same price! :D 

B003E07B-A884-4B4C-A865-F539916B69E7.jpeg

Oops, I also apologize for all of the cat fur on my desk! My fuzzy friend loves to sleep on there, much to my chagrin. ^_^

@Troodon @Ruger9a I’m sorry to bother you this late, but this has been bugging me for a while. I woke up in the middle of the night because this bothered me so much.... :wacko:

What did Woodworthia look like or resemble? Are there any papers that contain possible reconstructions/recreation images of what this ancient plant resembled?

41 minutes ago, Zapsalis said:

@Troodon @Ruger9a I’m sorry to bother you this late, but this has been bugging me for a while. I woke up in the middle of the night because this bothered me so much.... :wacko:

What did Woodworthia look like or resemble? Are there any papers that contain possible reconstructions/recreation images of what this ancient plant resembled?

Check out this paper:

https://www.ltrr.arizona.edu/webhome/cbaisan/BBTRB/Petrified1.pdf

D3F4DB4A-4C70-4D31-BE7A-850854C9BF6D.png

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

17 hours ago, Zapsalis said:

There is some left in my fridge, yes! It’s chocolate with buttercream frosting! :P

As for that young lady, I regret to inform you that’s actually myself. I grew my hair out due to my love of 70’s and 80’s prog rock bands like Pink Floyd. It’s also an homage to my amazing father, who’s youth was during those days! I’m a dude who loves having his hair long, much like his biker father! ;)  

Three cheers for Pink Floyd AND guys with long hair.  I moved to Wyoming in 1990 and have not had a haircut since... 30 years!  I first grew mine long in the early 70's inspired by those darn hippies and their music.  (It was shorn in the 80's).  BUt this is a fossil forum.  Excellent color on that piece of P-wood.   

10 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

5 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Thank you for the links! :D I do wonder if my piece is more likely to be Woodworthia or Arizonicum, however. ;) 

I also never knew that there was petrified wood in Southwest Michigan! Wow! Is it Silurian or Devonian in age? 

2 hours ago, jpc said:

Three cheers for Pink Floyd AND guys with long hair.  I moved to Wyoming in 1990 and have not had a haircut since... 30 years!  I first grew mine long in the early 70's inspired by those darn hippies and their music.  (It was shorn in the 80's).  BUt this is a fossil forum.  Excellent color on that piece of P-wood.   

Thanks! My dad was in his early to mid-20’s when he first grew his hair out long in the early 1970’s (he’s a baby boomer)! He’s only ever had a haircut a handful of times! His long hair is a part of his identity! :D 

And yeah, I have his generation and my mom’s Gen X generation to thank for a large bulk of my taste in music! My dad’s been to a ton of concerts, including Pink Floyd (he saw them five times!).