Orthoceras fossils in the US

PrehistoricWonders

Hi, 

I was wondering if you can find Orthoceras fossils in the US?

7 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Hi, 

Google is your friend. Also Fossilworks tells what states (the rest of the world too) a fossil is found and cites references that often mention specific localities. Searching references will give you a big leg up on most TFF members. Just search for the name of a fossil along with the term “Fossilworks” and voila. Orthoceras occurs in several states:

http://fossilworks.org/bridge.pl?a=taxonInfo&taxon_no=12557

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

4 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Hi, 

The simplest answer is "yes".

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Look up Graf, Iowa. A 15 minute visit will provide you with a bucket full of Isorthoceras sociale. Locally in SE Minnesota, other Orthceras are fairly common. Why the question? Are you looking for specimens?

Mike

I forgot to mention to use the search function on the Forum to find info. 
http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/83526-the-upper-ordovician-nautiloid-beds-of-graf-iowa/

You also can can let Google search the Forum for you. Just type in the search term and The Fossil Forum.

Click on “more results from...”

A4F38AB8-21DF-4A11-A7FC-3B97043F3708.png

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I thought that Orthoceras was cleaned up recently? From Wikipedia:

Orthoceras was formerly thought to have had a worldwide distribution due to the genus' use as a wastebasket taxon for numerous species of conical-shelled nautiloids throughout the Paleozoic and Triassic. Now, Orthoceras sensu stricto refers to O. regulare, of Ordovician-aged Baltic Sea limestones of Sweden and neighboring areas.”

• I found this Informative 3

While Orthoconic nautilus can be found in various places throughout the United States, Orthoceras itself is indeed limited to Scandinavia at the moment.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you all for the replies!!!

9 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Google is your friend. Also Fossilworks tells what states (the rest of the world too) a fossil is found and cites references that often mention specific localities. Searching references will give you a big leg up on most TFF members. Just search for the name of a fossil along with the term “Fossilworks” and voila. Orthoceras occurs in several states:

http://fossilworks.org/bridge.pl?a=taxonInfo&taxon_no=12557

I know google is my friend, I just couldn’t find anything that that Orthoceras is in the US. Thank you for that website it’ll help me a lot!!!

7 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

The simplest answer is "yes".

thanks I was guessing.:heartylaugh:

5 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Look up Graf, Iowa. A 15 minute visit will provide you with a bucket full of Isorthoceras sociale. Locally in SE Minnesota, other Orthceras are fairly common. Why the question? Are you looking for specimens?

Mike

thank you, I will look up graf, Iowa. I’ll check those places out at some point, but I probably won’t be able to get to Minnesota or Iowa till next year at least.:unsure: I was just wondering because I thought it would be cool to find a couple.

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I forgot to mention to use the search function on the Forum to find info. 
http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/83526-the-upper-ordovician-nautiloid-beds-of-graf-iowa/

You also can can let Google search the Forum for you. Just type in the search term and The Fossil Forum.

Click on “more results from...”

A4F38AB8-21DF-4A11-A7FC-3B97043F3708.png

Thanks I’ve used that before, but I forget. I’ll have to try that again!!!

2 hours ago, connorp said:

I thought that Orthoceras was cleaned up recently? From Wikipedia:

Orthoceras was formerly thought to have had a worldwide distribution due to the genus' use as a wastebasket taxon for numerous species of conical-shelled nautiloids throughout the Paleozoic and Triassic. Now, Orthoceras sensu stricto refers to O. regulare, of Ordovician-aged Baltic Sea limestones of Sweden and neighboring areas.”

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

While Orthoconic nautilus can be found in various places throughout the United States, Orthoceras itself is indeed limited to Scandinavia at the moment.

I’m fine with conical shelled nautiloids.

If you capitalize Orthoceras, that suggests you are talking about the particular genus, which as @WhodamanHD and @connorp have pointed out is now restricted to some species that occur in the Baltic area.  At one time "Orthoceras" was used for all straight-shelled nautiloids, which have in the last 100+ years been recognized to contain hundreds of different genera and thousands of species.  If you want to refer to just any straight-shelled nautiloid, you can call them orthocerids or orthoconic nautiloids (without capitalization).  It seems a bit picky perhaps, but being precise in naming things is essential in science.  Otherwise we don't really know what it is that someone is talking about (or asking about).

Note that the genus name is always capitalized, the specific name is not, and both are either underlined or italicized.  For example: Orthoceras regulare is correct.

Don

• I found this Informative 6

15 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

If you capitalize Orthoceras, that suggests you are talking about the particular genus, which as @WhodamanHD and @connorp have pointed out is now restricted to some species that occur in the Baltic area.  At one time "Orthoceras" was used for all straight-shelled nautiloids, which have in the last 100+ years been recognized to contain hundreds of different genera and thousands of species.  If you want to refer to just any straight-shelled nautiloid, you can call them orthocerids or orthoconic nautiloids (without capitalization).  It seems a bit picky perhaps, but being precise in naming things is essential in science.  Otherwise we don't really know what it is that someone is talking about (or asking about).

Note that the genus name is always capitalized, the specific name is not, and both are either underlined or italicized.  For example: Orthoceras regulare is correct.

Don

Sorry, thank you for the correction.

Nothing to be sorry about.  Just a "teachable moment" for the whole community.  This is a science-based forum, so when the opportunity to educate presents itself, it seems like the thing to do.  The "orthoceras" issue comes up a lot.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

Straight-shelled nautiloids are prolific in abundance in marine Paleozoic rocks. I've seen many fine examples at sites in the Hudson Valley and Central New York, and at sites in the Ohio Valley. Some of the best ones I've seen on the Forum came from the Toronto area. The NY Paleontological Society has outings planned to sites in Upstate New York where nautiloids can be found as well as lots of other things. Good luck!

IMG_4865.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

I agree with Jeffrey P. If you are referring to any orthoconic nautiloid, many species can be found all over U.S. in Paleozoic age rocks.

They may not be in the once catch all Orthoceras genus anymore, but that doesn’t mean they don’t resemble them in a general sense. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)