Long Cylindrical Shell; Tube Worm?

Neanderthal Shaman

Was looking for crabs and clam shells in a Miocene deposit near Centralia WA. Was shocked to see what looked like PVC pipe sticking though a rock that was millions of years old. Tube itself is rather small, only about 2 inches in length, and 0.3 inches in diameter.  My best guess is that it's a tube worm's shell. Thoughts?

IMG_20200624_172726269 (1).jpg

It could be a scaphopod (Dentalium shell).. Can we see different views, eg. from the ends?

Can you tell if it's straight or not? Scaphopods are all curved to some degree I think, so straight would suggest serpulid. If curved, it could be either.

Edited by TqB

Tarquin

Believe it or not, I think it is a bivalve.  The wood boring bivalve Teredo forms a calcitic tube as it feeds/burrows into wood.  Weaver in his 1958 monograph "Paleontology of the Marine Tertiary Formations of Oregon and Washington" lists Teredo pugetensis from the Puget group.  Below is a link to the substrate preferences of tube forming bivalves.

Mike

• I found this Informative 3

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

44 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Believe it or not, I think it is a bivalve.  The wood boring bivalve Teredo forms a calcitic tube as it feeds/burrows into wood.

Here's pictures of some. This is a small piece of wood I found washed up on the beach in North Carolina.

20170418_112331.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Here's a better picture. The tube is pretty straight, there might be a very slight amount of curvature to it.

IMG_20200625_100809533 (2).jpg

Edited by Neanderthal Shaman