Darbi

From my previous trip to Ellsworth County, Kansas and it's located in Dakota formation, Cenomanian. It appeared as almost like vertebrae but I'm sure it's not verts. Is it by chance some form of ichnofossil? @jpc thinks it's concretionary. No disrespect to him, he's the only one who offered his opinion and I would like to know if anyone else have a different opinion.

20200801_170549_compress2.jpg

20200801_170605_compress32.jpg

20200801_170631_compress16.jpg

20200801_170748_compress51.jpg

20200801_170723_compress1.jpg

Were these things originally all attached together in a row when you extricated them? If so, I'm tending toward burrow, otherwise concretion. A bit of prep might help better with id.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Were these things originally all attached together in a row when you extricated them? If so, I'm tending toward burrow, otherwise concretion. A bit of prep might help better with id.

I found them as is. It might have been originally attached together before it got weathered out. How do I prep it properly? 

20 minutes ago, Darbi said:

I found them as is. It might have been originally attached together before it got weathered out. How do I prep it properly? 

You'd need an air abrader.

6 hours ago, Darbi said:

Don't have one. :shakehead:

Pity. Then you'll need a steel brush and some elbow grease under running water. Thing is, it might be sandstone all the way through, so be careful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 4:09 PM, Ludwigia said:

Thing is, it might be sandstone all the way through, so be careful.

I think it's sandstone all the way because it's light compared to the ironstone concretions of similar size. I have not prepped it yet and it might remain a mystery for a while.

Hi,

They’re not vertebrae. There’s no structure.

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hey there, I just found something similar in BC although the one I found is about 2" in diameter. Did you ever find out what it was? I was also thinking vertebrae, ichthyosaur in particular because they're quite common in the watershed but it may be just my pareidolia.

With a little bit of light washing I uncovered a black steak of hard material.. will try to upload in a bit.

rsz_img_20200822_105853.jpg

Edited by TheShrifter

On 8/23/2020 at 10:31 PM, TheShrifter said:

Hey there, I just found something similar in BC although the one I found is about 2" in diameter. Did you ever find out what it was? I was also thinking vertebrae, ichthyosaur in particular because they're quite common in the watershed but it may be just my pareidolia.

With a little bit of light washing I uncovered a black steak of hard material.. will try to upload in a bit.

rsz_img_20200822_105853.jpg

Interesting! You should create a separate topic in ID section and upload pictures of top, bottom, and sides of this object. You will have a better chance of having someone identify it for you than on here! I do not know what that is and I still do not know what mine is.

20 minutes ago, Darbi said:

Interesting! You should create a separate topic in ID section and upload pictures of top, bottom, and sides of this object. You will have a better chance of having someone identify it for you than on here! I do not know what that is and I still do not know what mine is.

I did about a day before your post! All I got was geological suggestions.. although my pareidolia is keeping me from giving up on it 

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, TheShrifter said:

I did about a day before your post! All I got was geological suggestions.. although my pareidolia is keeping me from giving up on it 

Oh, I didn't realize that! I just went to your topic and read it all. They gave me similar conclusion, that it's possibly geological. You could try prep it to remove some matrix and see if it's just a rock all the way or if it's encrusted.