Americaspis americana, dorsal shield endocast from jawless fish, Silurian in Pennsylvania

traveltip1

I found these, endocast impressions of dorsal shields of the jawless fish Americaspis americana, in the Silurian of Pennsylvania.

There are 2 1/3 dorsal shields shown.

A complete shield measures approximately 2.4 x 1.0 inches (6.10 x 2.54 cm).

IMG_20200811_170136.jpg

IMG_20200811_171224.jpg

• I found this Informative 17

Those are incredible! If you don’t mind me asking, what formation?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

38 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

...what formation?

Occurrence — Late Silurian, Landisburg Sandstone Member of the Wills Creek Formation, Landisburg, Alinda, Andersonburg, and New Bloomfield in Perry County, Pennsylvania.

The type material came from the same sandstone (then called the Bloomfield Sandstone) from unknown localities in Perry County.

Denison, R.H. 1964. The Cyathaspididae: A Family of Silurian and Devonian Jawless Vertebrates. Chicago Natural History Museum, Fieldiana: Geology 13(5):309-473  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Congratulations on a great set of finds!

Thanks for posting them. 
We've missed your input, and are glad you are back. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Great specimen! Congratulations and thanks for sharing. I've heard that site is no longer accessible which is bad news for any of us who had hoped to one day collect a Silurian fish fossil. 

2 hours ago, jdp said:

wow, very nice fishes. Is there any bone left, or just the endocast of the headplate?

No bone, only cast.

Wow, congratulations.  Being originally from York, I tried find that/those sites to look for them, but no find.

Nice fish fossils!!

• 5 months later...

I've seen a few posts now on Americaspis, and I am wondering if anyone who has collected these, or has them in their collections, has seen any small fin spines from the same deposit?  Claypole  described the acanthodian Onchus pennsylvanicus from the same stratum, but I haven't been able to find any records of it being found since. The spines would be less than 2 cm long.

image.png