ID help, I don't know what it is, if it is anything at all.

Adventurist

Hello all! I found this at a garage sale, owner couldn't tell me much about it, I thought it was nice so I picked it up. Does it appear to real or fake? Please see photos for size reference. It weighs about 2-3oz and feels dense. Thanks in advance!

IMG_7669.JPG

IMG_7670.JPG

IMG_7671.JPG

IMG_7672.JPG

IMG_7673.JPG

IMG_7674.JPG

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

A solitary rugose 'horn' coral.

Real. 

Thank you,  I just googled it makes total sense now because there was a couple other ones that looked like stubby worms that I didn't pick up.  What would the value of something like this be? Anything?

• I found this Informative 1

We don't give monetary valuations on the forum, I'm afraid.  

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

We don't give monetary valuations on the forum, I'm afraid.  

Are they rare? and is there a way to tell how old it might be?

Edited by Adventurist

There are hundreds of species. 

Some are rare, some are very common. 

A polished cross-section might help with identification. 

As a general group, no, they're not rare, but I have lots in my collection. They're rather nice. 

1 hour ago, Adventurist said:

and is there a way to tell how it might be?

How what it might be? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Adventurist said:

Are they rare? and is there a way to tell how old it might be?

Up to around 500 million years old. If the species is identifiable (probably more work than anyone wants to do in the case of a horn coral) it could be narrowed down to a range which could encompass hundreds of millions of years. In most cases they are as common as dirt, and a specimen in this condition is worth considerably less than a specimen in excellent condition which is worth very little to begin with. No, you will not get rich by selling it. It could get you maybe 1/4 of a happy meal.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Probably not imprtant, but I think your specimen tried to perform Beekite on the external surface. I could be wrong, of course , but if I'm wright you have a nice specimen. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Up to around 500 million years old. If the species is identifiable (probably more work than anyone wants to do in the case of a horn coral) it could be narrowed down to a range which could encompass hundreds of millions of years. In most cases they are as common as dirt, and a specimen in this condition is worth considerably less than a specimen in excellent condition which is worth very little to begin with. No, you will not get rich by selling it. It could get you maybe 1/4 of a happy meal.

Thanks! That's about what I paid for it lol. It's still nice and now I am going to have fun making something to display it with.