Possible Opalized Mammal Tooth from Lighting Ridge?

Alston Gee

I recently discovered an opalized fossil from Lightning Ridge, Australia, available for sale online. The seller asserts that it is either a mammal or primate tooth fossil. As I'm unfamiliar with fossils from the Lightning Ridge region, identifying it is beyond my capability. Can anyone help me in determining whether it is a mammal or primate tooth fossil?

IMG_4657.jpeg

IMG_4655.jpeg

IMG_4654.jpeg

IMG_4653.jpeg

Just now, svcgoat said:

I thought lightning ridge was Cretaceous in age. All mammals in that time period were quite small

Do you indicate that it should be a gemstone instead of a tooth fossil? Is it possible that it is a herbivore's tooth?

2 minutes ago, svcgoat said:

I thought lightning ridge was Cretaceous in age. All mammals in that time period were quite small

You are right. The lighting ridge is Cretaceous in age.

1 minute ago, svcgoat said:

From my understanding usually it's marine specimens that get opalized there not sure if teeth do or not

I've seen opalised theropod teeth at the Australian Museum and various gem shows. The uncertainty lies in whether opalised mammal or primate teeth exist, as I haven't encountered them in the market.

1 minute ago, Alston Gee said:

I've seen opalised theropod teeth at the Australian Museum and various gem shows. The uncertainty lies in whether opalised mammal or primate teeth exist, as I haven't encountered them in the market.

It wouldn't be primate as primates weren't around the Cretaceous 

• I Agree 1

I would treat any claim of this being a mammal tooth  of any kind with extreme skepticism.

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

I would treat any claim of this being a mammal tooth  of any kind with extreme skepticism.

What’s your thoughts on this? Do you believe it is a tooth fossil or not?

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Opalised Steropodon galmani teeth have been discovered in Lightning Ridge, but I doubt it will be a similar situation to mine.

27 minutes ago, svcgoat said:

It wouldn't be primate as primates weren't around the Cretaceous 

Sorry, the seller said that this “tooth fossil” was discovered in the Pleistocene layer of the lighting ridge.

I see nothing that leads me to think this is a tooth.

• I Agree 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I have a hard time understanding any mechanisms that would lead enamel to turn into opal.

Not saying it can't happen, (because apparently, it does.)  just that I don't understand how an opaque mineralized enamel turns into clear, see through opal.

I don't think it is a mammal tooth, or any other kind of tooth, to be honest. :unsure:

Sometimes, it seems these amber sellers and collectors come up with some wild interpretations of what they are seeing in these rocks.  <_<

Unless it has a write up attached from a paleontologist, saying what it is, I would remain skeptical. 

I see no tooth morphology in this item, but I do see some nails that could use a manicure.  Better pictures would be required,... preferable without the fingers in them. They should be able to prop the item up with museum putty or clay.

Remember, the rarer the item, the more $$$ can be earned by selling it. 

Calling it a fossil mammal tooth without any  verification can be an easy way to drive up the price.  :unsure:

Sometimes, a pretty rock  is just a pretty rock.   :shrug:

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Do not pay fossil prices for this piece of beautiful opal.  There is nothing toothy about it.  Pay opal prices for it.   Indeed steropodon is a Cretaceous mammal

For your viewing pleasure, I have included a photo, from Wikipedia, of the lower jaw of Steropodon.  Not sure if the scale bar is  a mm or cm. 

from LR.  As far as I know, there is one specimen.  And it is fairly large for a Cret mammal.  There maybe others that have made it into the commercial markets, but they

would fetch ridiculous prices, I imagine.  

PS.. I  don't think there are Pleistocene opals at LR.  

steropodon.jpg.a8969058fd4e2cf0e9f1db104ae85773.jpg

• I found this Informative 1