Crowley’s Ridge

FlirtsWithChert

All of my pieces come from a creek on Crowley’s Ridge in northeast Arkansas near the Missouri border.  

Crowley’s Ridge is believed to be about 10,000 years old.  Located as far north as New Madrid, Missouri and as far south as Wynne, Arkansas, it is believed by some to be a former bank of the Mississippi River.  At some point, it may have even been an island.  Some research has suggested that the ridge was affected by volcanic activity in the distant past.

Today, Crowley’s Ridge is known for its gravel pits, uplifts, and bluffs which were likely caused by the New Madrid fault on which it sits.  Our roads are covered with Crowley’s Ridge chert from the gravel pits.  More practically-at least for me and my farming family-the ridge is partially covered with fertile, wind-blown “sandy loam.”  We are rice farmers at the base of the ridge.  I have explored the ridge since I was very young.  The pieces I have collected were strange or out of place according to my limited perspective.

I should also add that Crowley’s Ridge is Home to flora (plants) that are so far unknown to the Appalachian chain to its east and also unknown to the Ozark chain to its west.  In this way, my little ridge is very unique.

Memphis State University has done research on (Cretaceous?)sea fossils found in a creek bank near Wynne, Arkansas—-near the southern end of the ridge.  I haven’t found those kinds of fossils in the area where I’ve explored.  

I learned most of the above information in a couple of upper level geography courses I had to take to fulfill my degree in Social Science.  I don’t pretend to be an expert in fossils, minerals, or geology.  I am here to learn about my “cool” rocks and clay.

96112BFF-4759-4F34-B652-DC870C1BCDE6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

The piece above is Crowley’s Ridge Chert but is split in two pieces and lightweight.  The inside is a red chalky material.

Here are some better shots.  This rock was split when I found it.  Below are fronts, backs, and ends of all pieces.

62CE02CB-A092-4029-9D66-42BC10C223D8.jpeg

AD2700CD-199F-4EA9-983B-F74E6120C00C.jpeg

2274C2AC-8B90-40BB-A0EC-D5FE722C6CA6.jpeg

DE97A9D9-4BA4-4F47-99DD-111207C5502A.jpeg

8C5F6EB1-C1E7-4183-ACFF-7A42C7034219.jpeg

D39C4E48-0DCF-4792-9887-D74D37D5D054.jpeg

4E65C8C0-1891-424E-8411-CED84B881DB5.jpeg

C2319E16-08C2-4E06-B7E5-397C45674239.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum!  Hopefully you will find it a helpful place.

This is very interesting to me as just last week I was reading about Crowleys Ridge.  During an overnight stay in Forrest City, AR I was curious what the ridge was that our hotel was on in what is otherwise a relatively flay area.  Crowleys Ridge in that area also has a very narrow band of Eocene aged Jackson Formation. from which some fossils (including some land mammals) have been found.  My next time through there I hope to make some time to do a little looking.

As far as your object, I don't see a fossil there.  But maybe a close up of the surface might show some embedded fragments that I cant see in the current pictures.