September 2020 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

1 hour ago, Titan said:

@JohnJ Thank you! I did the identification as best I could. I haven't reached out to a professional and my identification may be wrong, but I thought it looked similar enough to confidently label it into the Plioplatecarpus genus based on the dentary having a relatively long projection anterior to first tooth as well as the total dentary tooth count and shape.

I reached out to Joshua Lively, a paleontologist specializing in mosasaurs, for his thoughts on this specimen.  Based on the photos, he concluded this is a mosasaurine.  It could possibly be Mosasaurus; however, the tooth count and features along with a tall coronoid buttress rule out Plioplatecarpus and other plioplatecarpines.

I would edit your entry to "indeterminate mosasaurine mosasaur".

:tiphat:

• I found this Informative 5

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

6 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I reached out to Joshua Lively, a paleontologist specializing in mosasaurs, for his thoughts on this specimen.  Based on the photos, he concluded this is a mosasaurine.  It could possibly be Mosasaurus; however, the tooth count and features along with a tall coronoid buttress rule out Plioplatecarpus and other plioplatecarpines.

I would edit your entry to "indeterminate mosasaurine mosasaur".

:tiphat:

Thank you John for contacting an expert for an ID. For unusual fossils I appreciate an ID from an expert. For Collections and other forums it is useful for the poster tell us how the fossil was IDed. In Collections, it would be great if we had a field to indicate how the fossil was IDed. I ID most of my Arizona inverts myself because I know more about them than the mostly vertebrate Arizona paleontologists. Support for invertebrate paleontology in Arizona seems to be struggling; so sad.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

15 hours ago, Titan said:

I am excited to share my entry for this month after a long journey from the find itself to the stabilization, realization I was out of depth, and finally to the preparator and back. A partial Mosasaur jaw.

5f6a658912bb8_Insitu.thumb.jpg.c0b88e9d2e14ca71976c4dd66602562c.jpg

Wow what an entry and find. Massive congratulations and it’s come out spectacular 

17 hours ago, Titan said:

I am excited to share my entry for this month after a long journey from the find itself to the stabilization, realization I was out of depth, and finally to the preparator and back. A partial Mosasaur jaw.

5f6a658912bb8_Insitu.thumb.jpg.c0b88e9d2e14ca71976c4dd66602562c.jpg

This is beautiful! Congratulations on a wonderful find!!

Adding another echinoderm to the entries!  A small free swimming crinoid (that has not yet been described in a paper, so no Scientific name - and also, I did not discover it - it's not a brand new find, but just not described yet)

Date of Discovery :  September 19 2020

Scientific and/or Common Name :  Comatulid crinoid

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation : Cretaceous -Glen Rose Formation

State, Province, or Region Found : Texas, Bandera County

Size: 1/2 inch (aprox 1 cm)

5f6b93d6ef08d_Crinoid1.thumb.jpg.58edc6bd91f81d76fc1d76946aa55e68.jpg

5f6b93d9600d5_CrinoidGR.thumb.jpg.c17739d93300353dcc194d73ed61ff76.jpg

crin.thumb.jpg.77fbaf895717e8e21c8468b8bff48821.jpg

200923130927384.thumb.jpg.dfaef3c3aed6216396ebbe0e2ef1ef35.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

Here is my first entry - a huge, perfect and complete metapodial bone from a Stag Moose. I have included a comparison with modern elk and White tailed deer to really get an idea of how large this one is. 

Date of Discovery: Sept 23, 2020

Common Name: Stag Moose

Scientific Name: Cervalces scotti

Geologic Age: Pleistocene (post Illinoian stage)

State: Missouri

stag1.thumb.jpg.ed5d895d546734293aa40755f86abae2.jpgstag3.thumb.jpg.1685f8f29b908b526af8723d2881950f.jpgstag4.thumb.jpg.666d136c5766858867965931ccf7f87c.jpgstag2.thumb.jpg.b8ff11991808964bf66d4c437d8092cd.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

Here is my humble entry, it’s been awhile so here she goes.

Name: Oreodont skull(possibly Merycoidodon culbertsoni)

Date found: 9/19/20

Geologic formation: White River(Eocene to Oligocene)

Found in Colorado.

I still have some of it to put back together and I’m heading out tomorrow to see if I missed any, but this is the meat and potatoes of it.  

C4DF5775-9162-4CB3-A80D-A16D5BE843F5.jpeg

DE04E754-0804-413B-92BE-DA22D05CD820.jpeg

1C9131F5-3E92-43AD-B471-286C44911E32.jpeg

5072D056-B140-4FE0-A78D-4B849CF91B0D.jpeg

0CBDA35E-D446-4DF6-95C0-A155409C327B.jpeg

9B50A454-40F6-4131-B386-5D2D4A6456A1.jpeg

E4CB3C3C-B292-40A9-8D84-5EBF34707B26.jpeg

• I found this Informative 13

I believe all jaws are cool and that one is no exception.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

43 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

You travel to the future. You made this discovery on 11/19/20

Our members possess many skills--finding fossils is only one of them. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

@Stagmooser oh man that is such a cool find! HUGE too! 

@joshuajbelanger wow, your skull is a lot more complete than I thought! Very cool :dinothumb:

September is looking like a killer month so far! Well done everyone!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I contacted Joshua Lively (Thanks @JohnJ for the contact!) with additional pictures and he was able to confidently identify it as a very large Clidastes.

• I found this Informative 2

Hey everyone,

I just got some prepared material back from my trip to Beecher’s this spring and it appears I did way did better than I expected! I found what I thought was 1 gold trilobite but then was told I found a cluster of pyritized trilobites!!! For the life of me I could only see the 1 and some scattered material on the counter part (which actually contained the 6 flipped trilobites in the plate). I can now see what I didn’t see that day in the photos below. I had a chance to pick these up last week but they were instead mailed and arrived Monday 9/28. They were prepared last week over a couple day period.

Scientific name: Triarthrus eatoni 

Date of discovery: April 26th, 2020

Date of Prep: September 23, 24th, 2020

Geologic age: Late Ordovician 

Geologic unit: Lorraine group, Frankfort shale

State/providence: Oneida county, New York 

D50BDC94-AC43-42C7-82B2-816137B38557.jpeg.a30983ba1eb9d31d66ca488635f9230c.jpeg

Before....part and counterpart. 

A1BB7DAE-92D3-48AF-8FB1-0663920D7E40.thumb.jpeg.2f8c4fbf768f0e083d7ea9c3ef9b1fa1.jpeg

After....just insane! 
scale in cm. 

A3DCEF58-71D6-487D-AF64-4CEB393EE4A5.thumb.jpeg.7ce15afae730b30db714a4daa5823ce8.jpeg

The big fella...amazing preservation 

4D1E6DCE-5361-4A8A-9419-4176D99134C2.png.e9e4486bce57056d5ae513c359d29197.png

Absolutely insane preservation on the top 2 in this photo. All the legs!! So 3D and laid up on each other...superb prep.
Suuuuper complete!! This little cluster under the right light is very photogenic. The larger trilobite is too far to fit in frame. The lowest trilobite on frame also has lots of legs! I wish I could upload a more high quality photo....I am going to do a post soon with a few photos and I’ll be able to show more details. This last photo was being very stubborn and the picture won’t fit so I had to sacrifice some sharpness. 

Hope you Enjoy! This is actually very very rare to have so many of these trilobites with this great preservation all together plus a lunker in the mix!! Usually you get various levels of preservation and big bugs are rare. I was lucky to find both. Probably in my top 3 find ever. 

Thanks! 
Al

• I found this Informative 20

1 hour ago, Titan said:

I contacted Joshua Lively (Thanks @JohnJ for the contact!) with additional pictures and he was able to confidently identify it as a very large Clidastes.

Well done.  I have edited the name on the entry.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Holy... Honestly I have no words for this :default_faint::wub: That has to be the best Triarthrus plate I've ever seen,  ever,  anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Al Tahan said:

Probably in my top 3 find ever. 

What could possibly fill the 1 and 2 slots..? :P

@Al Tahan

Well there goes my entry being blown out of the water! What a great find! Looks like they will crawl away if you are not looking. All those legs! :drool::wub:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

@Huntonia thanks!! I was told it was “one of the best” plates that have come out of the quarry in its history. The other top 2 would be a near perfect Eurypterid I found in late 2018 and the 7 inch isotelus I found this year 1 day before I found this! That was a crazy weekend 

@FossilNerd I’m a big fan of blastoids I must admit! Love those echniderms :b_love1:

• I found this Informative 4

10 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

Hope you Enjoy! This is actually very very rare to have so many of these trilobites with this great preservation all together plus a lunker in the mix!! Usually you get various levels of preservation and big bugs are rare. I was lucky to find both. Probably in my top 3 find ever. 

:default_faint::envy: :drool: 

No words

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

4 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

@Huntonia thanks!! I was told it was “one of the best” plates that have come out of the quarry in its history. The other top 2 would be a near perfect Eurypterid I found in late 2018 and the 7 inch isotelus I found this year 1 day before I found this! That was a crazy weekend 

@FossilNerd I’m a big fan of blastoids I must admit! Love those echniderms :b_love1:

That Triarthus plate is truly a sight to behold. Definitely a museum quality piece to add to your already amazing collection. Big congratulations. I'll trade you a bunch of blastoids for it. Seriously.