Amphibian with big head and small body from Czech Republic

-Andy-

Does anyone know what amphibian this is? I acquired it as a Letoverpeton moravicum from the Bacov Formation of Moravia, Czech Republic

As I understand, Letoverpeton was synonymized with Discosauricus. However, this doesn't look like the typical Discosauricus to me. I am not familiar with amphibians from the Czech Republic, so I would appreciate any help in identifying them, thank you

Discosauriscus_3.JPG

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

17 minutes ago, jdp said:

I wonder if this might be a juvenile Dasyceps.

Thank you. As far as I know, only a single Dasyceps was ever found in that locality among thousands of Discosauriscidae. I don't think I am so lucky

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I'm not totally sold on that idea either, but the really short trunk raises the possibility. As far as possible seymouriamorphs, the options are Discosauriscus, Spinarerpeton, and Makowskia. Of those three, I think the proportions of the skull look most like Spinarerpeton, in which case the strange proportions of the trunk might just be the impact of weird preservation. However, it could easily be something else too. One thing to keep in mind is that animals like Makowskia and Spinarerpeton are relatively recently recognized, and were lumped into Discosauriscus for a long time. 

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 months later...
On 19/09/2020 at 12:45 AM, jdp said:

I'm not totally sold on that idea either, but the really short trunk raises the possibility. As far as possible seymouriamorphs, the options are Discosauriscus, Spinarerpeton, and Makowskia. Of those three, I think the proportions of the skull look most like Spinarerpeton, in which case the strange proportions of the trunk might just be the impact of weird preservation. However, it could easily be something else too. One thing to keep in mind is that animals like Makowskia and Spinarerpeton are relatively recently recognized, and were lumped into Discosauriscus for a long time. 

A new update from Dr Jozef Klembara from the Comenius University in Bratislava:

1) The left postparietal overlaps about one half of the left tabular. And the parietal tabular suture is present at the left side

2) The anteroposteriorly oriented piece of bone lying immediately posterolaterally to the left tabular is, with most probability a tabular process

3) In the anterior portion of the skull there is a rounded space between (in some species it is) premaxillae

It is in his opinion a Temnospondyl amphibian, ?Zatracheidae indet.

• I found this Informative 2