JamieLynn

Echies of Texas (A Few Good Things from the Glen Rose Form.)

DPS Ammonite

Wow that crinoid is neat. If you get it identified it would make a great Collections entry. I can help you with the entry.

Jamie, could you please send some of your cool and wet weather to Arizona. This has been the hottest summer ever. Even my forested mountainous collection areas have been too hot to collect in at times. Also, our monsoon season was a disaster. Thanks. 

JamieLynn

oh dear...i knew New Mexico was having problems with Monsoon season (i have a cousin in Silver City) but didn't realize AZ was having issues too! Sending some rainy vibes to y'all!!  Of course....the rain today is due to another hurricane in the Gulf...

FossilNerd

Awesome finds! I've been enamored with echinoderms since my last trip out and you have some real beauties!:wub:

NWARockhound

Nice finds!  Makes me want to take a trip down to TX, especially that gorgeous crinoid! :)

JamieLynn

thanks y'all!!

Al Dente
12 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

Free Swimming Crinoid:

I like this crinoid. How long is it?

Monica

That crinoid is really cool!  Thanks for showing us!

minnbuckeye
Fig. 1. Restoration of Saccocoma tenella (Goldfuss, 1831). Some arms or their distal parts omitted for clarity (drawing by Jerzy Dzik based on a model con− structed by the author).
Fig. 1. Restoration of Saccocoma tenella (Goldfuss, 1831). Some arms or their distal parts omitted for clarity (drawing by Jerzy Dzik based on a model con− structed by the author). 

Published in 2006

Functional anatomy and mode of life of the latest Jurassic crinoid Saccocoma

Researched free swimming crinoids a bit, knowing NOTHING about them. Looks like it could be a type of Saccocoma??????????????? 

GREAT finds!! 

Mike

JamieLynn
4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I like this crinoid. How long is it?

oops...forgot to put measurement on it! sorry! It is aprox 1 cm (1/2 inch). 

@DPS Ammonite - unfortunately there is no specific ID on the crinoid.  I asked Erich Rose (who is president of the Paleontological Society of Austin and all around super knowledgeble guy) and he said that he and a few others have sent their specimens to a guy who is supposed to be writing a paper on them, but it's been a while and it is not published yet. So there is sadly no specific info on this crinoid.

JamieLynn

Al Dente
1 hour ago, JamieLynn said:

oops...forgot to put measurement on it! sorry! It is aprox 1 cm (1/2 inch).

That's huge for a pelagic crinoid. The Cretaceous ones I find in North Carolina are less than 1 millimeter. I've looked through my references for Cretaceous crinoids and couldn't find anything similar to your crinoid, probably something new. 

BobC

Cool finds!

JamieLynn

HI Bob!!!  Thanks!! Good to hear from you...been a long time!

Planko

Really cool finds!

JamieLynn

Thanks Planko! I thank my lucky stars I live in the heart of Texas with fossils all around! 

JamieLynn

:) Thanks @erose for the ID and info. And I'd ALMOST trade you the crinoid for that crab carapace you found. Almost.  I have to say, it is truly due to y'all here on the Fossil Forum and the Austin Paleontological Society that I am the fossil hunter I am....hahhahah!!! Seriously.  Thanks to all of y'all. 

BudB

Great finds!

Pagurus

Beautiful echinoids, and that crinoid is wonderful. That tiny little Goniopygus  is gorgeous!  Enjoy.