JustPlainPetrified

9 hours ago, JustPlainPetrified said:

Not sure what kind of large gastropod this is.

20200913_171610.jpg

Aren’t there two valves there? I see bilateral symmetry. Maybe photos from different angles would help.

• I found this Informative 3

The Kaskapau Formation is Late Cretaceous, so a platycerid gastropod can be ruled out.  Al Dente is correct I think, there are two valves present.  I believe this specimen is an inoceramid, Volviceramus involutus, which is known from the formation.  The figure below is from this paper, which you may find useful for identifying other finds from the area as well.

Don

Volviceramus.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks Don, I could not find a similar photo as you have provided. I'll post more photos but off to golf now.

Edited by JustPlainPetrified
Miss spelling

13 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

The Kaskapau Formation is Late Cretaceous, so a platycerid gastropod can be ruled out.  Al Dente is correct I think, there are two valves present.  I believe this specimen is an inoceramid, Volviceramus involutus, which is known from the formation.  The figure below is from this paper, which you may find useful for identifying other finds from the area as well.

Don

Volviceramus.jpg

Don, here are a couple more photos of these fossils...

Kakut gastropods resized.jpg

Kakut gastropods2 resized.jpg

Kakut gastropods3 resized.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

If you look in that paper I linked, you will see a few different species of Volviceramus.  You can compare your specimens to the photos in that paper. My impression is that you have mostly Volviceramus involutus, but the ribbed shell in the top specimen might be different.  Nice specimens of an unusual species! 

Don

• I found this Informative 1

12 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

If you look in that paper I linked, you will see a few different species of Volviceramus.  You can compare your specimens to the photos in that paper. My impression is that you have mostly Volviceramus involutus, but the ribbed shell in the top specimen might be different.  Nice specimens of an unusual species! 

Don

Thanks for all your help on this. I downloaded the paper you linked me to.