Hadrosaur egg

FF7_Yuffie

Unfortunaterly, there's not much information--the seller doesn't usually deal with dinosaur fossils and has had it instorage for over a decade, so the only info available is that it's a Hadrosaur egg, from China and cretaceous with shell loss to one side. No more specific as to location/formation.

Length = 17.5 cm

Weight = 4.3 kg

So, what do people think about it?

Now, I was wondering, could the base be hiding some damage/a hole? The base looks a bit off to me, like it's been added---is it a common bit of fakery to make a partial egg look complete by applying a base to them and could that be the case here?

Thanks for any help and opinions.

M9686a.jpg

M9686b.jpg

M9686c.jpg

M9686d.jpg

M9686e.jpg

M9686f.jpg

M9686g.jpg

M9686h.jpg

Its real but rough condition and missing a fair bit of shell. I wouldn't invest in this.

If the seller has it at a price thats basically giving it away sure, but don't spend any amount of real cash on it. 

1 minute ago, BadlandTraveller said:

Its real but rough condition and missing a fair bit of shell. I wouldn't invest in this.

If the seller has it at a price thats basically giving it away sure, but don't spend any amount of real cash on it. 

Cheers

It's cheaper than most on the market, which is why it caught my eye. But perhaps it might be better saving up for a really good one.

Imho: No location/formation = no (scientific) value. Furthermore remind the export ban of fossils from China....

• I found this Informative 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 9:34 AM, FF7_Yuffie said:

Now, I was wondering, could the base be hiding some damage/a hole? The base looks a bit off to me, like it's been added---is it a common bit of fakery to make a partial egg look complete by applying a base to them and could that be the case here?

Almost all eggs seen have a "hole" hidden by the matrix base. This is natural. It is the hatching window from which the dino emerged. The surface we perceive as the "top" of the egg is actually the surface that rested in the nest, while the hidden side was "up." 

• I found this Informative 4

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

3 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Almost all eggs seen have a "hole" hidden by the matrix base. This is natural. It is the hatching window from which the dino emerged. The surface we perceive as the "top" of the egg is actually the surface that rested in the nest, while the hidden side was "up." 

Wow, ok. I didnt know that. Ive been thinking of them all wrong then, thinking the matrix being the bottom bit.

Thanks very much.