Max fragmento

Hello

I am really struggling to figure out the best way to do micro abrasion. All of the units I can find on line all have terrible reviews regarding quality and functionality. Many of them are dental oriented units, which would probably be fine, but they are chinese made and poor quality. Then it seems that without expensive and elaborate water removal systems for your air compressor they wont work anyway. There are obviously zillions of people out there around the world prepping fossils using micro-abrasion and hopefully baking soda but I cant seem to find a system that anyone likes. I am just an amateur collector with some nice specimens that it seems micro-abrasion would be the best prep technique. Many of my finds are from the White River formation in Wyoming. So.... the matrix is no that hard.... any help would be appreciated.

Ziggycie has a great recent post regarding air abrasion with the paasche air eraser. I use the el cheapo from harbor freight because I'm currently contributing a significant portion of my wages to the University of South Carolina :D It works fine for the quick clean up of my cretaceous fossils. I use baking soda and dolomite (separately). The In-line air drier from Harbor freight was about $13 and the air eraser was $27. I would think if your prepping larger fossils like the awesome White River mammals, I would go with ZiggieCie's recommendation. You can also search the forum using "air abrasion" for some great information.

• I found this Informative 1

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

• Fossildude19 unpinned this topic