Graptolite from Texas Pennsylvanian

James Ryan

Yesterday I hunted for about 6 hours in Breckenridge Texas on my way back to Lubbock. Although I found no trilobites, I’m certainly glad I went. I found this graptolite and was wondering if anyone could help with further identifying, identified as graptolite because of the small “hieroglyphics” on the shell. Love this thing!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

47 minutes ago, James Ryan said:

, identified as graptolite because of the small “hieroglyphics” on the shell.

:headscratch:Are you certain you mean graptolite ? 

Maybe gastropod?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I also found two different bivalve fossils in the same vicinity...... I think this would have been a swimmer.

Did you find that in a paleozoic area because you mentioned trilobites?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Check the title ?

Oh yeah wouldn't that rule out ammonite then

11 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Oh yeah wouldn't that rule out ammonite then

As group no. The size and morphology I'm less certain of. 

This is it pictured along with the two bivalves I found in the same area, on top of a Cretaceous fossil that I found in Lewisville, Texas. I believe that they are probably in the same family, although I have no idea what I’m comparing it to is. An I.D. on it would be incredible.

image.jpg

I would try to gently clean it up with a damp, soft brush and take photos from all sides.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I think graptolites were extinct by the Pennsylvanian but I can't say I recognize this. I agree that other views might help.

Interesting shape.

Not what I think of first hearing graptolite, but there was high diversity.

It is somewhat similar to the examples in the top row of this illustration from the wiki-entry about graptolites. There is no species name or size given though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graptolithina#/media/File:Graptolites-EncBrit.jpg

You wrote "heavy" in the tags,

no chance this is some kind of metal shrapnel?

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

This is several orders of magnitude larger than I can imagine one being. And I usually have an active imagination.

Sometimes I'm not quite with the program however. :Confused05:

Some of the edges look metallic. I'm seeing a silvery gray sheen like lead.

image.jpg.756ac9c3f854c526c296ea346e602acd.jpg

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

14 hours ago, Rockwood said:

This is several orders of magnitude larger than I can imagine one being

I have to agree

19 minutes ago, BobWill said:

Just to reiterate, does anyone know of graptolites ever being found in Pennsylvanian deposits?

Here is a Forum post that suggests they have been found in several places:

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

On 11/12/2020 at 7:20 PM, JohnJ said:

I would try to gently clean it up with a damp, soft brush and take photos from all sides.

@James Ryan

Photos of the opposite side and some additional cleaning would help a lot. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

6 hours ago, BobWill said:

Just to reiterate, does anyone know of graptolites ever being found in Pennsylvanian deposits?

Yes, they are not common but i have come across references to Pennsylvanian dendritic graptolites but have not pursued in detail

Sorry to insist, it really looks metallic and you mentioned it being heavy.

What did you do to test if it is metal?

Of course you have it in your hands, so you are in a better position to decide this.

best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley