Mudstone Fossils - Verde Formation, central Arizona

Doug Von Gausig

This is a shot of a conglomeration of fossils in mudstone from the Verde Formation of central Arizona. This formation is a graben of jumbled types -- sandstone, limestone, mudstone, basalt, etc. These were in layers along a dry streambed. Any assistance with what they are would be appreciated. I'm assuming they are Pennsylvanian period, given the lack of crinoids. Locally, the redwall limestone is Mississippian, and contains abundant crinoids. The Martin limestones are Devonian, and have few fossils. I assume the pictured fossils are more recent than either of these. I'm especially curious about the items a few inches below my index finger that look like cross-sections of bone -- hollow with webbing inside. Thanks for any help you can offer!Fossils-Buckboard-20201112_151526-1s.thumb.jpg.4f5e8887dc3a0f985504048e412b1143.jpg

Greetings from Scottsdale. 

I do not recognize the structures as being fossils from the Paleozoic formations of the area: Mississippian Redwall; Devonian Martin or Pennsylvanian Naco. 

If the rock is from the lacustrine Pliocene/ Miocene Verde Formation and not a reworked clast, then you might consider plant material which is common in the formation.

Are you able to show is the other side?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I appreciate your thoughts and expertise! I can't show the other side, as this is the surface of a very large boulder in situ, not a collected item. The more I investigate this area, the more I see plant hash, though there are some interesting formations that I'll post soon.

Thanks again!

On 11/13/2020 at 11:08 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

At least some of these are rugose corals, I think.

Thanks! I'll check that out.