Got Obscure or Rare Fossil Shark or Ray teeth?

Miocene_Mason

Hey Folks, my presence has been a little light on here lately, I have been hanging around in TFF facebook as an admin and working on furthering my nascent paleo career. I hope you are all doing well, I certainly miss all my forum friends!

I have been doing a little side project for a few months: writing Wikipedia pages for fossil Cartilaginous fish. It's one little way I can give back to the fossil community, so the next curious person doesn't have to go through the trouble of finding and accessing references and distilling information for obscure species as I have. It's also a task I find a little mindless and relaxing. Anyway, one problem I consistently run across is a lack of usable photos. While not strictly necessary, I think it is helpful to have a visual aid. Up until now, I have gone down the list alphabetically and contacted people to get pictures of teeth, but this is extremely tedious and I don't always get responses. So, I have a humble request! If you have shark or ray teeth from species or genera which do not yet have a picture and/or page on Wikipedia and you would be fine with it being used on one, upload a picture to Wikimedia Commons or post it in this thread and I can upload it. If you chose the former, let me know here so I can write a page on it or insert it into the proper article. If you chose the latter, it will be under my name (Mason Hintermeister) but I can credit you in the description. If you'd like me to do so, let me know what name you'd like to be credited as (You can PM me this information if you like). If you have fossils of species and genera which don't have Wikipedia pages which are not cartilaginous fish, I can upload them too and maybe even write a page for them. I'm not expecting a ton of responses here, but I like to think every new page and picture helps.

Photographs are usually under a CC BY-SA 4.0 license, a fancy way of saying the photograph is usable by anyone provided they link the citation and they do not alter the photograph. If you upload it yourself, you have other options and if you have me upload it and you would like to use a different option just let me know.

Thanks in advance!

• I found this Informative 6

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice to hear from you, Mason. :)

Not an area I can help with, but sounds like  a very useful project to be attempting. 

Good luck with your endeavours. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Not an area I can help with, but sounds like  a very useful project to be attempting. 

Wonderful to hear from you as well Adam, thank you! 

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I have to say that you are one remarkable person. Your knowledge and selfishness is inspiring!  I have watched your presentations and they have been extremely educational and filled with amazing information. I will PM you and see if I have anything that can help you. 

16 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

I have to say that you are one remarkable person. Your knowledge and selfishness is inspiring!

I can't be that selfish can I:P

Thank you! I am lucky I found a passion and ways to fuel it, most of what I know I learned on this forum! 

16 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

I will PM you and see if I have anything that can help you

Thanks!!!

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, will stevenson said:

what a great project! is there a list of species you don't have? id be happy to help

Thanks! Here is a (incomplete) list of species, red ones usually don't have pictures (unless they are junior synonyms) because no article has been written for them. As for blues, some have them and some not. I should certainly start a list of which ones I need for those, thanks for the idea!

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, hokietech96 said:

Haha. I meant selfless. You are always there to share you knowledge!  Auto type sucks

It does indeed! I was poking fun, I appreciate the kind sentiment!

Happy hunting,

Mason

46 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Thanks! Here is a (incomplete) list of species, red ones usually don't have pictures (unless they are junior synonyms) because no article has been written for them. As for blues, some have them and some not. I should certainly start a list of which ones I need for those, thanks for the idea!

Mason, have you contacted @oilshale to see if you can use any of his photos. He has some in the Collections and the Gallery. Other Fossil Forum members might have photos that would be helpful to Wikipedia. Consider adding a link to Wikipedia that points to Collections, Gallery or other sites in the Forum.

In general, I hope that members with great photos and skills to write would consider contributing to Wikipedia.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

22 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Mason, have you contacted @oilshale to see if you can use any of his photos.

I have not, he'll see this tag and decide whether he's up for this or not. I did ask @Archie who graciously granted me permission to use his lovely Paleozoic teeth (a time period I really needed and still do need).

25 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Consider adding a link to Wikipedia that points to Collections, Gallery or other sites in the Forum.

Not sure quite how I could work that in, I'll look into it. 

27 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

In general, I hope that members with great photos and skills to write would consider contributing to Wikipedia.

I wholeheartedly agree! It can be a little daunting at first, but once you do an article or two you learn it is really quite simple and rewarding to be a Wikipedian. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:
4 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Mason, have you contacted @oilshale to see if you can use any of his photos.

I have not, he'll see this tag and decide whether he's up for this or not. I did ask @Archie who graciously granted me permission to use his lovely Paleozoic teeth (a time period I really needed and still do need).

Shark teeth I hardly have any, but sure, you can use all my photos from "Collection" and "Gallery". At the moment maybe a quarter to a third of my collection is published there. If the quality is not good enough write me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I might be able to send you an abdounia lapierri and aetobatis irregularis, Alopias latidens , I need to find them first though and I’m quite busy so it’ll be within the next few days

i will edit this with a few more red species that I have

brachycarcharias lerichei 

16 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

:DittoSign:

Like Adam, I can’t be of any help, but I’m glad to see you pop into the forum and wish you well. :D 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

10 hours ago, oilshale said:

Shark teeth I hardly have any, but sure, you can use all my photos from "Collection" and "Gallery". At the moment maybe a quarter to a third of my collection is published there. If the quality is not good enough write me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Thank you very much! I may branch out into other creatures as well if I can find the time. I'll let you know if I decide to use any.

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, will stevenson said:

I might be able to send you an abdounia lapierri and aetobatis irregularis, Alopias latidens , I need to find them first though and I’m quite busy so it’ll be within the next few days

i will edit this with a few more red species that I have

brachycarcharias lerichei 

No rush at all, this is a long-term side project. Thanks!!!

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Like Adam, I can’t be of any help, but I’m glad to see you pop into the forum and wish you well

Thanks and the same to you!!

Happy hunting,

Mason